• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Working in the middle east

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Only kidding...I live miles from Clacton!

Comment

Originally posted by IR35 Avoider
      He must be. What about the two expats, one a Scot who were arrested, tortured until they confessed to a crime they knew nothing about, then sentenced to crucifixion and beheading.

The sentenced was reduced on appeal - to beheading only.

With diplomatic interevention they were eventually extracted alive from Saudi Arabia.
      Even if you can avoid being crucified, beheaded, or blown up, etc, I've heard the rates are way down from what they were in the good old days of the 1980s, because for most purposes its cheaper to hire Indian contractors.
      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

I did a stint in Riyadh when there was stuff all work a few years back, a very strange and dysfunctional place and I'd avoid it personally unless you are a real money grabber. Life on the foreigner compounds is OK at face value with sun, swimming pools, lots of home brew etc etc but there is pretty much stuff all to do in the outside world and everyone is just there for the money and on the edge of cracking up. I was on decent money but they had just started recruiting Indian programmers when I was there and the feeling was the big bucks days had gone !? If you go make sure you get paid over there or offshore, you can get a sterling bank account.

Comment

Don't worry guys, there's nothing in the pipeline. I was just inquisitive. I have seen jobs advertised in such places (as well as Egypt, Tunisia etc) so am just checking things out

Comment

I had an agency call me this morning about a job in Iran

Comment

If you want to try the Middle East, I'd recommend that you stick to the Emirates - partucularly Abu Dhabi and Dubai - Saudi is dull as dishwater (though Jeddah seemed OK) and dry (as in - no alchohol). I've heard that Qatar is OK these days, if a bit dodgy politically, like Saudi. Iraq used to be the best by a long way but I wouldn't recommend it these days!
              Life is just nature's way of keeping meat fresh

Comment

Working...
              X