• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Working in the middle east"

Collapse

• hattra
    replied
    If you want to try the Middle East, I'd recommend that you stick to the Emirates - partucularly Abu Dhabi and Dubai - Saudi is dull as dishwater (though Jeddah seemed OK) and dry (as in - no alchohol). I've heard that Qatar is OK these days, if a bit dodgy politically, like Saudi. Iraq used to be the best by a long way but I wouldn't recommend it these days!

Leave a comment:

• Hiram King Of Tyre
    replied
    I had an agency call me this morning about a job in Iran

Leave a comment:

• Hiram King Of Tyre
    replied
    Don't worry guys, there's nothing in the pipeline. I was just inquisitive. I have seen jobs advertised in such places (as well as Egypt, Tunisia etc) so am just checking things out

Leave a comment:

• rootsnall
    replied
    I did a stint in Riyadh when there was stuff all work a few years back, a very strange and dysfunctional place and I'd avoid it personally unless you are a real money grabber. Life on the foreigner compounds is OK at face value with sun, swimming pools, lots of home brew etc etc but there is pretty much stuff all to do in the outside world and everyone is just there for the money and on the edge of cracking up. I was on decent money but they had just started recruiting Indian programmers when I was there and the feeling was the big bucks days had gone !? If you go make sure you get paid over there or offshore, you can get a sterling bank account.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by IR35 Avoider
    He must be. What about the two expats, one a Scot who were arrested, tortured until they confessed to a crime they knew nothing about, then sentenced to crucifixion and beheading.

The sentenced was reduced on appeal - to beheading only.

With diplomatic interevention they were eventually extracted alive from Saudi Arabia.
    Even if you can avoid being crucified, beheaded, or blown up, etc, I've heard the rates are way down from what they were in the good old days of the 1980s, because for most purposes its cheaper to hire Indian contractors.

Leave a comment:

• Hiram King Of Tyre
    replied
    Only kidding...I live miles from Clacton!

Leave a comment:

• IR35 Avoider
    replied
    Saudi Arabia

Are you having a laugh?
    He must be. What about the two expats, one a Scot who were arrested, tortured until they confessed to a crime they knew nothing about, then sentenced to crucifixion and beheading.

The sentenced was reduced on appeal - to beheading only.

With diplomatic interevention they were eventually extracted alive from Saudi Arabia.

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    Clacton? are you mad!!!!

Leave a comment:

• Hiram King Of Tyre
    replied
    Crikey. Sorry guys, I've lead a sheltered life and people told me that parts of the middle east were OK.....Maybe I should get a job in Clacton!

Leave a comment:

• Lucifer Box
    replied
    Originally posted by Hiram King Of Tyre
    I'm talking about Saudi etc not anywhere too dodgy
    Are you having a laugh?

There is a continuing high threat of terrorism in Saudi Arabia. We continue to believe that terrorists are planning further attacks, including against Westerners and places associated with Westerners in Saudi Arabia.

If you choose to travel to, or remain in, Saudi Arabia you should take all necessary steps to protect your safety and should make sure you have confidence in your individual security arrangements. You should maintain a high level of vigilance, particularly in public places.

We have allowed non-essential staff and dependants at our missions in Saudi Arabia to leave if they wish.

You should remember that Islamic law is strictly enforced in Saudi Arabia.

We strongly recommend that you obtain comprehensive travel and medical insurance before travelling (ed: which doesn't cover you for terrorism related incidents anyway. Or public beheading).
    From the Foreign Office travel advice website.

http://www.fco.gov.uk

Leave a comment:

• Hiram King Of Tyre
    replied
    Is it that bad?

Leave a comment:

• SandyDown
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Hiram King Of Tyre
    replied

Leave a comment:

• WageSlave
    replied
    If it's so attractive, why isn't everybody doing it?
    Beheadings

Leave a comment:

• SupremeSpod
    replied
    What's it like? How is it tax free? If it's so attractive, why isn't everybody doing it?
    It's alright if you can keep your head.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X