• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Blade Runner Quote

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    And EVERYBODY goes on about how it's the best thing ever, despite being a slightly cringeworthy moment in a mediocre film. Grrrr.

Ridley Scott should have stuck to Hovis ads (and Rutger Hauer should have stuck to Guinness ads).
    I thought I would be strung up for thinking along similar lines so am glad I am not the only one.

Overated film which has grown in popularity over time due to a core nerd fanbase.

Ditto Apocalypse Now and Scarface.

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy View Post
      I thought I would be strung up for thinking along similar lines so am glad I am not the only one.

Overated film which has grown in popularity over time due to a core nerd fanbase.

Ditto Apocalypse Now and Scarface.
      Ah well I have to disagree on Apocalypse Now. However the "redux" version is inferior to the original release IMO. And we can put the blame for that firmly on Blade Runner for introducing the concept of "The Director's Cut" (TM) - a marketing man's wet dream: sell the film three times: at the cinema, on VHS, and DVD, then do it all over again by pretending there's been some titanic struggle of good vs evil and the poor downtrodden director has been censored by the evil studio heads.

Bollocks - everybody saw the oppurtunity for more dollars and the fan boys complied.
      Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded View Post
        I don't know why he saved my life. Maybe in those last moments he loved life more than he ever had before. Not just his life, anybody's life, my life. All he'd wanted were the same answers the rest of us want. Where did I come from? Where am I going? How long have I got? All I could do was sit there and watch him die.

Comment

I like the film, but the book "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?" is better. Similarly with Total Recall.

It seems to me that films that are close to the sci-fi you get in book form are not commerically successful, but attract a cult following. It seems the general public prefer space opera to sci-fi.
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
            I Similarly with Total Recall.
            I must 'not have got it' cause I thought that was utter tripe.

Comment

The book or the film?

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                I like the film, but the book "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?" is better. Similarly with Total Recall.

It seems to me that films that are close to the sci-fi you get in book form are not commerically successful, but attract a cult following. It seems the general public prefer space opera to sci-fi.
                The book is not better than the film (in this case). Although the film is based on the book - the plot of a detective chasing replicants and "retiring" them - the actual action in the film doesn't appear in the book at all. (I say this with the caveat that I've watched the film more than I've read the book).
                I actually found the book to be quite dull and tedious whereas I did enjoy the film very much but have to say that Roy's speech and death is what made it for me.

Originally Posted by VectraMan
                a marketing man's wet dream: sell the film three times: at the cinema, on VHS, and DVD, then do it all over again by pretending there's been some titanic struggle of good vs evil and the poor downtrodden director has been censored by the evil studio heads
                I must agree with this - I was quite happy with the original and I view the subsequent fuss over the "director's cut" and the rest of the do-done films to be merely a marketing ploy. But with a film like this I wholeheartedly subscribed to it!
                It's Deja-vu all over again!

Comment

Oddly enough I was thinking of this very scene from BladeRunner on Monday.

Could it be possible that a man-machine could evolve to the highest levels of human emotion -compassion ?

Could it even develop a soul ?

The ending was a stroke of cinematic brilliance - the previous claustrophobic and dark atmosphere being released by the image of the dove flying into the sky - the asccent of the Soul - earthbound to Heaven .

And why did I ponder opver thsi on Monday - but what are Days for - after all ?

What are days for?
                  Days are where we live.
                  They come, they wake us
                  Time and time over.
                  They are to be happy in:
                  Where can we live but days?

Ah, solving that question
                  Brings the priest and the doctor
                  In their long coats
                  Running over the fields

Comment

The director's cut is way better than the theatrical release. And the book and short-story are way better then the films. But I think that, perhaps because I'm interested primarily in the ideas presented, and the implications of those ideas, than the story itself. Yah... each to their own!

IIRC Rutger Hauer added the last few lines of that quote himself?

Comment

Working...
                    X