• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

investments

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bank shares?

I'd be doing anything possible to keep my money away from banks full stop.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
      Bank shares?

I'd be doing anything possible to keep my money away from banks full stop.
      That reaction is a sure sign it's time to buy bank shares. I'd buy an OEIC or unit trust along the lines of Jupiter Financial Opportunities. Should double your money in the next 2 or 3 years.
      (In fact I have).
      Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
      Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

'Buy when others are fearful and sell when others are greedy'

You might heard that before.

My next ISA in April is going into high yielding bank shares - RBS and LLOY primarily. Heck if you knew you could get a 10% yield for life with the prospect of capital gains then that isn't a bad deal now is it?

Bank shares have come off some 40% since le crunch reared its ugly head. A lot of the bad news is factored in. Yes, the market may fall further but longer term it will recover, and in the meantime I'll be happy with my high yield portfolio.

Not that I have one yet mind you.

Comment

Originally posted by TazMaN View Post
          'Buy when others are fearful and sell when others are greedy'

You might heard that before.

My next ISA in April is going into high yielding bank shares - RBS and LLOY primarily. Heck if you knew you could get a 10% yield for life with the prospect of capital gains then that isn't a bad deal now is it?

Bank shares have come off some 40% since le crunch reared its ugly head. A lot of the bad news is factored in. Yes, the market may fall further but longer term it will recover, and in the meantime I'll be happy with my high yield portfolio.

Not that I have one yet mind you.
          Each to their own.

Good luck.

Comment

Fidelity South East Asia.
            Or Allianz RCM BRIC stars (Brazil, Russia, India China)
            This is on the back of substantial 'foundation' funds in UK and Europe since they are likely to be more volatile and risky I would not advise them as a large percentage of a portfolio. Don't see much value/potential in UK + Europe shares currently, although a punt on banking shares which have been marked down viciously might be worth a go.

Comment

Yes, the market may fall further but longer term it will recover, and in the meantime I'll be happy with my high yield portfolio.
              Good luck. Short term fluctuation means nothing. In the meantime you get about 8% p.a. return, virtually guaranteed to increase in time. And at the worst realistic case I think you'll make 100% capital gain in 5 years. The case only falls down if you believe the end of capitalism had dawned. If that's the case, losing a few quid on bank stock is the least of your worries!
              Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
              Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

go contrarian - you know it makes sense...

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Originally posted by ratewhore View Post
                  go contrarian - you know it makes sense...

Good plan.

Buy banking stocks, buy more UK and Spanish property and get big into Japan.

Comment

Originally posted by TazMaN View Post
                    Heck if you knew you could get a 10% yield for life with the prospect of capital gains then that isn't a bad deal now is it?
                    No. But I might think to myself "just how safe is that yield".

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                      Any spare penny goes striaght to the mortgage these days, (the cash can come back out as quick as it went in), before the fixed rate is up in 20 months or so...
                      Nope, once your house drops 40% in value, the bank wont let you to take that money back, as the equity you paid off will of disapeared in a magic puff.

So, although you wont owe the bank any more money, they certainly wont let you have it back.
                      The Mods stole my post count!

Comment

Working...
                      X