• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

.Net gravy train switching tracks?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PAH View Post
    If only I hadn't spunked away all that dosh when I could have been saving or investing it, I wouldn't have to worry about keeping my skills up to date.
    Spent on booze and hookers and the rest you wasted?

Comment

Originally posted by ASB View Post
      For real clumsiness you need Cobol.Net.
      Surely that's more a hobby/nostalgia language than something you'll ever find in commercial use? There certainly aren't any jobs that require it on jobserve!
      Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
      Feist - I Feel It All
      Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

What happend to the term you can't teach an old dog new tricks? I have that as my motto.

If only I hadn't spunked away all that dosh when I could have been saving or investing it, I wouldn't have to worry about keeping my skills up to date.
        Well how old a dog are you exactly? I'm 49 this year and still up to my balls in technical stuff I need to learn and keep on top of.

I think it's quite important to actually know your business when you're charging clients substantial daily rates.

If you're over 60, fair enough!

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
          Spent on booze and hookers and the rest you wasted?
          Yeah, I went to the George Best school of financial planning. I always thought I'd end up dying young anyway, so why bother with a pension, savings, mortgage.

The government will bail me out won't they? A nice cosy bungalow, meals on wheels, the odd bed bath, and a few hundred quid a week to spend on internet bingo.
          Feist - I Feel It All

Comment

Just write VB.net and stick semi colons on the end. Sorted.
            bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
            John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
              Just write VB.net and stick semi colons on the end. Sorted.
              You got a VS plugin for that?

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
                Well how old a dog are you exactly? I'm 49 this year and still up to my balls in technical stuff I need to learn and keep on top of.

I think it's quite important to actually know your business when you're charging clients substantial daily rates.

If you're over 60, fair enough!
                Not quite that old, but after 20+ years of the same old programming lark, even if the languages are slightly different, I wish I'd done something about a plan B long ago. It all gets rather tiring slogging over the same stuff year in year out. I can't quite get enthused when they roll out a new set of clothes for what is essentially the same underneath.

My only hope is that there are still easy contracts out there that aren't as demanding as those earning top rates. I can live with that.
                Feist - I Feel It All

Comment

Surely that's more a hobby/nostalgia language than something you'll ever find in commercial use? There certainly aren't any jobs that require it on jobserve!
                  There is quite a lot of usage of it. It's very useful in a number of migrations etc. Depends on the value people put on their existing code base, can get good leverage under certain circumstance. Of course whether trying to preserve an existing code base is sensible is a very different thing.

You could (careful choice of word ) use it to code an entirely new winforms app.

Comment

Not quite that old, but after 20+ years of the same old programming lark
                    Suppose it depends on the type of programming. If you're just a coder drone and work from someone else's spec all the time then I can see your point of view.

The rewarding (and £££) work is where you have a designer/architect role but can still keep a finger in the details and do infrastructure code yourself then hand off the boring work to the coder drones.

Such roles are quite rare but do crop up often enough to make a viable career choice - especially if you work in vertical market apps or odd platforms.

Comment

Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
                      Suppose it depends on the type of programming. If you're just a coder drone and work from someone else's spec all the time then I can see your point of view.

The rewarding (and £££) work is where you have a designer/architect role but can still keep a finger in the details and do infrastructure code yourself then hand off the boring work to the coder drones.

Such roles are quite rare but do crop up often enough to make a viable career choice - especially if you work in vertical market apps or odd platforms.

Yeah, doing some designing would make a change. Unfortunately the only ladders I've been offered were towards team leader stuff, where you just end up getting harrassed with meeting upon meeting, so I prefer to stick with coding.

I was once offered a technical architect role and thought I'd made it, but it turned out the gimps were only after a technical author really, so quickly moved back.

What's the natural progression up the rate ladder for a coder? Should I be able to blag my way into any different roles by already having many of the skills needed?
                      Feist - I Feel It All

Comment

Working...
                      X