• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

.Net gravy train switching tracks?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's the natural progression up the rate ladder for a coder? Should I be able to blag my way into any different roles by already having many of the skills needed?
    Java + Spring + Hibernate + Agile for non IB roles. 450-500 per day. Can't imagine getting much more as a coder.

R

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
      What's the natural progression up the rate ladder for a coder? Should I be able to blag my way into any different roles by already having many of the skills needed?
      Sorry if this sounds a bit harsh but if you've been a basic-level coder for 20+ years then you've rather 'missed the bus'.

Also it's a 'career ladder' not a 'rate ladder'. People won't pay you more for doing the same job a long time (unless you are a permie).

You sound as though you're not really interested in the job and don't want to expand your skills. Well fair enough, but don't expect better rates or more interesting work.

Think about a career change (probably not an option as you have 'spunked away' the money you could have invested over the years).

Being a freelancer (in any field of work, not just IT) is all about self-motivation and determination. Maybe go permie!

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by too_many_details View Post
        Java + Spring + Hibernate + Agile for non IB roles. 450-500 per day. Can't imagine getting much more as a coder.

R
        I meant more as a coder looking to break into other roles that offer a potentially higher rate.

How does one become a Technical Architect for instance?

I have plenty of experience, it's just knowing what I could do with it I'm not sure about.
        Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
        Feist - I Feel It All
        Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Can't imagine getting much more as a coder.

Where you been?

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

and just for the record:

1. OO programming is hard to do right (even Java programmers find it hard). Its even harder if you have programmed in a non-OO language, so ex-VB guys are going to struggle.

2. C# may be a fine language but its survival will depend on the strength of its libraries. At present, .Net is spending most of its time porting Java libraries over.

3. I have worked in some companies which were Windows only but most have used Unix variants in production. Java rules the roost there.

4. I hear C# is popular for building front ends in Windows in some orgs (like banks). The server side is mostly Java and thats unlikely to change.

R

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
              How does one become a Technical Architect for instance?
              Simply by learning how to do the job, then proving you can do it.

Comment

and just for the record:

(even Java programmers find it hard)
                You are feckin killing me now

Comment

Where you been?
                  explain?

R

Comment

explain?

R
                    I thought it was obvious.

You are judging what people can get paid based on your own experience (which seems to be mostly JAVA - am I right?)

Comment

Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
                      Sorry if this sounds a bit harsh but if you've been a basic-level coder for 20+ years then you've rather 'missed the bus'.

Also it's a 'career ladder' not a 'rate ladder'. People won't pay you more for doing the same job a long time (unless you are a permie).

You sound as though you're not really interested in the job and don't want to expand your skills. Well fair enough, but don't expect better rates or more interesting work.

Think about a career change (probably not an option as you have 'spunked away' the money you could have invested over the years).

Being a freelancer (in any field of work, not just IT) is all about self-motivation and determination. Maybe go permie!

What skills could a coder pick up to allow them to move up to whatever is further up the ladder that's not managerial? I've never fancied being a PM or other paper shuffler, but with 20+ years of IT experience, surely there are some non-coding jobs I could do?

I suppose analyst/programmer is the next step?

As a contractor you're not encouraged to seek out those steps by the client, so how do we learn what we could become and what opportunities there are to progress to?
                      Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
                      Feist - I Feel It All
                      Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Working...
                      X