• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Mosquito Anti Gang device "not fair"

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PAH View Post
    What's wrong with setting up a boot camp for the anti-social ones?
    It infringes their human rights and civil liberties, fool.

HTH

Comment

Anyway, why can't under-24s just "hang around"? As long as they are not behaving in an anti-social manner or breaking any laws obviously and, after all, the police have plenty of existing powers to deal with that already. They're just not doing it as they get just the same target points with less hassle by cautioning people fishing with knife possession.

It goes without saying that "as long as it's not on my road" of course.

Comment

Does anyone actually have experience with these devices? Can you hear them and do they actually make kids want to hang out elsewhere?

What solution is there to bunches of teenagers hanging around on street corners, shouting out insults and so on? A copper can come and tell them off but as soon as he's gone they can continue... it's too hard to define exactly what they're doing wrong. And there are far too many kids for the police to be on ever street corner every 5 minutes.

I agree it is due mainly to bad parenting, but boredom is a factor. Many of the "gangs" don't actually do anything apart from look threatening, most don't attack people or vandalise cars. The ones who just loiter around might be interested in doing other stuff, I think only a small core would prefer to be doing whatever they do.

And it being bad parenting doesn't help us... once they are 15 it's a bit late to fix that so we do have to consider how to deal with the current generation. Especially since if they're not educated then their kids will be at least as bad. It's hard to see a solution, it's a vicious cycle which isn't easily broken.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
          Which according to some would be anti-social behaviour. How would you have felt if you'd been prevented from doing that by somebody putting one of these devices near where you used to play?

It's indeterminate discrimination. That's the point: it doesn't matter whether you intend any harm or not. You still suffer for it because you happen to be young.
          I'm talking about the excuse of "Well kids are horrible violent little thugs nowadays but it's not their fault, they only do it because they are bored..". I'm not advocating the use of high pitched noises, I'm just ranting because of the ridiculous way we make excuses for the bad behaviour. There is not excuse IMHO.

Comment

Originally posted by chicane View Post
            You're missing the point - the well behaved kids don't participate in this practice of "hanging around" - they're either staying at friends houses (as my generation used to do as kids) or participating in activities organised by their parents or between themselves..
            You really were a goody goody weren't you?

So we're saying that people shouldn't be allowed to congregate in groups in public even if they're not doing anyone any harm because sometimes some people do congregate in groups and engage in anti-social behaviour? Well I disagree: it's a free country, and within certain boundaries we should be able to go or do whatever we want.
            Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
              I agree it is due mainly to bad parenting, but boredom is a factor. Many of the "gangs" don't actually do anything apart from look threatening, most don't attack people or vandalise cars. The ones who just loiter around might be interested in doing other stuff, I think only a small core would prefer to be doing whatever they do.

And it being bad parenting doesn't help us... once they are 15 it's a bit late to fix that so we do have to consider how to deal with the current generation.

I used to be a bit of a bad-lad when I was in my early teens. But I always knew there was a line that if I crossed I would end up in bother.

Nowadays parents (and school teachers) aren't even allowed to discipline their children using traditional methods of smacking with various levels of force/pain. So the kids see it as a game as there's no real consequences or fear of doing wrong. You only a have to look at the toddlers who know they're doing wrong but aren't really bothered about their parents shouting at them to stop, whereas a smack on the legs would work.

I think it's this lack of effective discipline that is a primary cause of today's lack of respect for both the authorities and their elders.
              Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
              Feist - I Feel It All
              Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

haha - everyone should attach one of these to the outside of their homes. Anyone under the age of 25 wouldn't be able to step outside. Nice.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                  Assuming it works you still have to suffer a bit of sonic assault
                  Sounds a lot like marriage, yet parties of all hues still tend to push that as the optimum.
                  “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by M_B View Post
                    haha - everyone should attach one of these to the outside of their homes. Anyone under the age of 25 wouldn't be able to step outside. Nice.
                    I'm suprised the fire brigade haven't thought of attaching them to the sides of their engines, seeing as they say attacks and harrassment from kids are still rising.
                    Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
                    Feist - I Feel It All
                    Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Nothing to do with being liberal, it is an indiscriminate measure and will affect anyone in the area.

This is the undesirable trend in law enforcement, whether raising price of alcohol to target drunks, preventing consentual prostitution to prevent people trafficing etc., just have some blanket method that supposedly deals with the problem and affects the law abiding as much as the law breakers rather than tackle those who are the real problem.

In some cities there are already areas where youths cannot congregate, there should not be any, only areas where they cannot cause trouble.
                      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Working...
                      X