• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Read confirmations on email - why ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
    My favourite is the ones who have it set as default and then do a mail to the whole outfit - I always make sure they get the read receipt.
    They are the only ones that I send a read receipt to. Never do it for anything else, but if it goes to a mailing list that might have lots of people on it, then they ALWAYS get one.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
      why do so many nobodies put read receipts on their emails ?

Milan.
      Because there are some clients that like to lie to you and say they were away on holiday/off work sick/abroad etc when you have asked them a direct question, such as: Is my invoice with accounts now? or Have the purchase orders finally been authorised like you promised?
      If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
        and they use words like ourself and yourself and utilise because simple English scares them.
        You forgot "please revert".
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
          So they can prove you've received it if it ever ends up in court.

I always decline to send a read receipt anyway. Like to keep them guessing. Then when they re-send it, give them an ear-full that I got it first time.
          I do that with meeting invites - accept but choose 'do not send a response' option...keep the feckers guessing
          How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
            That is sickening. I bet you use Comic Sans too.
            wingdings at all times
            that REALLY keeps them guessing
            Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by hyperD View Post
              Because there are some clients that like to lie to you and say they were away on holiday/off work sick/abroad etc when you have asked them a direct question, such as: Is my invoice with accounts now? or Have the purchase orders finally been authorised like you promised?
              That's all true - but having a read receipt doesn't make that type of client any less likely to muck you around.
              Last edited by Peoplesoft bloke; 8 February 2008, 10:07. Reason: spelling

Comment

...then there are those that always have the out of office autoresponder on. It is becoming a trick to buy more time than having to reply or repond straight away.

Comment

Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
                  It is because they have terrible communication skills. They are the same people who say "please advise", and who cc-in somebody of perceived importance who you know actually gives even less of a damn than you do.
                  I agree. So many people hide behind their outlook client and have no social skills either.

Plus many are happy to spend 25-30 minutes composing an email when a 20 second phone conversation would have done the trick.

The "please advise" tulip makes my blood boil

The ship is sinking... "please advise"
                  Eat Right, Exercise, Die Anyway.

Comment

Dear All,

We seem to be experiencing some difficulty with the system backups. In short, someone has lost the tape again. I have repeatedly emailed the tape-monkey in the basement but have yet to receive a response. I know theoretically I could take the lift down from my top floor corner office, past the car park and down to their lair but I can't be arsed. Is there anyway I can tell if he's received and read my mails but is ignoring them because he doesn't want to face up to his responsibilities.

Please advise.

PL

Comment

Working...
                    X