• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

When will they ban guns?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Police can't arrive in time everywhere to save lifes - that's why it is essential that responsible people have access to means of effective self-defence.
    And you trust our goverment to decide who is a responsible person?

I'd rather the vast majority not have access to guns then I know if I give someone the finger I'm not as likely to get shot.

You seem to be living under whatever warped logic causes arms races. Allowing guns in society is just a few steps from people demanding tanks and justice by death, as they'll have the power to kill with very little effort.

At least with knives they've got to have the balls (or mental issues) to stick it in someone. Guns allow for a much more remote kind of killing.
    Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
    Feist - I Feel It All
    Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
      And you trust our goverment to decide who is a responsible person?
      It is fairly easy to have an objective cut off by age, house ownership, family, lack of criminal record, psycological assessment including lie detector (like for what purpose you want gun) etc.

Guns ownership is present in France and Germany, they are doing fine. It was also present in this country until that crazy man shot kids in school - tragic case, but before that gun crime was actually low, heck, after banning guns actual gun crime is raising, so I think arguements that sudden gun ownership will increase gun crime are baseless.

Comment

I think you'll find gun crime is rising because the number of immigrants is rising, who don't necessarilly live by our (British) code of conduct.

Is it really a coincidence that much of the drug related crime is organised by foreigners. In my town the pakistanis who used to run the drugs are now being taken over by the poles.

I'm afraid a stiff upper lip and a cup of tea won't cut it these days. Other cultures have a very different outlook and set of morals to what we may have been used to in this country, but change is progress ain't it.

It's just like your red and grey squirrels, the greys are taking over for a reason.
        Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
        Feist - I Feel It All
        Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
          I think you'll find gun crime is rising because the number of immigrants is rising, who don't necessarilly live by our (British) code of conduct.
          I doubt immigrants are responsible for complete raise in gun crime (doubling) since 1997 - Britain has got her own large share of native yobs and criminals. Afterall you had to dedicate whole continent of Australia for them

Comment

I doubt immigrants are responsible for complete raise in gun crime (doubling) since 1997
            Well, there's you advocating being able to shoot people in self defence for a start

Comment

Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
              Well, there's you advocating being able to shoot people in self defence for a start
              Nothing wrong in shooting attackers in self-defence - what's wrong is that the attackers in this country can shoot you, and you can't really defend yourself: a handgun gives a better chance of survival and introduces element of uncertainity for the criminal - they would not be sure if they get shot while trying to rob or rape someone, right now they know it won't happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
                I don't remember uninsured drivers being something that was ever talked about when I were a lad.
                Yes, but it cost so much to feed the horse

Comment

AtW, you can not register a firearm in the UK for the purposes of self defence.

In fact, imho if anyone were to try and obtain a FAC for such a purpose I'd prevent them from doing so on the grounds that they're mentally unstable anyway.

Comment

Nothing wrong in shooting attackers in self-defence - what's wrong is that the attackers in this country can shoot you, and you can't really defend yourself: a handgun gives a better chance of survival and introduces element of uncertainity for the criminal - they would not be sure if they get shot while trying to rob or rape someone, right now they know it won't happen.
                    Quite so. It is doubtful whether "self defence" really does form part of English Law any more.

Example:
                    Proportion of burglaries in England & Wales where occupier is present at time of burglary: 53%.
                    Corresponding proportion in USA: 13%.
                    Why is this, do you think?

Violent criminals in the UK can rest easy in the knowledge that their victims will have neither the means nor the right to defend themselves.

This IMHO is because of the extent of the shift from the individual to society in this country. You are not supposed to defend yourself, you are supposed to call on the authorities to do it for you. Their standards of success in this endeavour may be different from yours.

Comment

Now come on, we can't even drink responsibly, how do you expect us to handle firearms?

Comment

Working...
                      X