• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Microsoft buying Yahoo

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry for trying to stay on topic

BBC reports that Microsoft wants to buy Yahoo. They have sent them a letter (how quaint) offering them a lot more than their market worth. They would be foolish not to go for it really.

MSN have tried to take on Google. Their search is whack to be honest. A combination could be good. But knowing MS they will just make a mess of it. All that money and resource and talent at their disposal and they continue to fail miserably in providing a good competitor to Google.
    my ferret is your ferret

Comment

The thing is M$ really don't get it when it comes to search. When people look for things they generally want to be able to find them. M$ have a company mentality that is just plain counter to this, so any search engine they get their hands on will fail suffering from embrace extend extinguish mentality.

Which all only helps competiting search engines. No doubt will help AtWs efforts no end as well.
      Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
      threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded View Post
        The thing is M$ really don't get it when it comes to search. When people look for things they generally want to be able to find them. M$ have a company mentality that is just plain counter to this, so any search engine they get their hands on will fail suffering from embrace extend extinguish mentality.

Which all only helps competiting search engines. No doubt will help AtWs efforts no end as well.
        I can corroborate that, I did some work for Microsoft a while back. When a MS employee saw me using Google, they quipped 'so why are you using that crap then', I riposted with 'because it's indexed more than a billion pages'. They scratched their head, gave me a scowl and indignantly strode away.

Oh yeah, I'm back!

Comment

A minor setback. In a month you will all be regretting your insults and I will be quoting you in my book.

- AtW

Comment

Originally posted by Shimano105 View Post
            A minor setback. In a month you will all be regretting your insults and I will be quoting you in my book.
            I will buy you a bicycle (cheap one), Shimano
            Last edited by AtW; 1 February 2008, 14:26.

Comment

MS Mission statement:

Our Values

As a company, and as individuals, we value integrity, honesty, openness, personal excellence, constructive self-criticism, continual self-improvement, and mutual respect. We are committed to our customers and partners and have a passion for technology. We take on big challenges, and pride ourselves on seeing them through. We hold ourselves accountable to our customers, shareholders, partners, and employees by honoring our commitments, providing results, and striving for the highest quality.

Source

Google Mission statement:

Google's mission is to organize the world's information and make it universally accessible and useful.

As a first step to fulfilling that mission, Google's founders Larry Page and Sergey Brin developed a new approach to online search that took root in a Stanford University dorm room and quickly spread to information seekers around the globe. Google is now widely recognized as the world's largest search engine -- an easy-to-use free service that usually returns relevant results in a fraction of a second.
              Source

I know where my money would be if I were a betting man.
              "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Originally posted by ferret View Post
                Sorry for trying to stay on topic

BBC reports that Microsoft wants to buy Yahoo. They have sent them a letter (how quaint) offering them a lot more than their market worth. They would be foolish not to go for it really.

MSN have tried to take on Google. Their search is whack to be honest. A combination could be good. But knowing MS they will just make a mess of it. All that money and resource and talent at their disposal and they continue to fail miserably in providing a good competitor to Google.
                Thanks for changing the title....
                How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Having worked at Yahoo!, I don't think that many of the developers would be staying around to work for Microsoft. They're good enough to work for Microsoft already if they want to, and they don't want to.

So Microsoft would finish up with a company whose most important assets would gather together their free t-shirts and inflatable mallets and walk out the door.

Comment

The decision to buy Yahoo is proly analyzed by 100s of people far more clever than any one here. Microsoft's business model is like nothing else there is. Think about how much time you think whether to invest 4000 quid. Then think of how much is thought before offering 44 B.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                      I will buy you a bicycle (cheap one), Shimano
                      Still on course for the big release, Alexei? I hope so.

Comment

Working...
                      X