• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Indian Development Teams

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    Has anyone had a successful implementation using an outsourced Indian dev team?
    Not to my knowledge, but don't knock it mate, I make loadsa money going in with a team, starting from scratch for a client who is by now desperate.
    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post

when will companies realize there are no savings to be had?
      Some already are, a Friend of mine worked for a major insurance company who are now trying to reverse engineer 5 years of battling with off shore madness and bring it all to the UK.
      Some people are like slinkys, totally pointless but the thought of pushing them down a flight of stairs never fails to put a smile on your face.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded View Post
        Not to my knowledge, but don't knock it mate, I make loadsa money going in with a team, starting from scratch for a client who is by now desperate.
        Threaded is right. Where there are cock-ups, there's highly paid work to be had.

Comment

Sounds pretty much par for the course.

You have to remember that in their culture saying you can't do it means you lose face, but saying you can do it and then dragging it out is seen as totally acceptable and you don't lose face.

Secondly they are not brought up to question their instructions, they just do it which results in lots of stupid errors getting put into the code because they won't come and ask if their understanding is correct (as again this would be a loss of face).

Finally this mentality means that testing is generally speaking positive path testing only, and they ignore errors that they find that are not on their test scripts! (If it isn't on the test script it isn't an error...).

I have gone to defect meeting with Indian teams before when they were trying to get defects ignored because the defect had been found through ad-hoc testing and not by going through one of our test scripts. In the end the only way to get them to accept the defects without them losing face was to create a new test script to specifically reproduce the bug......

My most infuriating memory of working with an Indian dev was one guy who wrote a client program that was supposed to connect to a server on the LAN and download a test package, and then run it. It didn't work and he came down to show see what the problem was. It took two hours of him hcking about with config files and changing bits to get the program to download the file and load it up and even then it was locking up after about 2 mins. He then stood up and said see it works, not a defect and tried to walk out of the room..... Suffice to say he got a rather frosty reception and was back in India two weeks later

Comment

One large company nearby have decided that they're not going to have any more on-site developers; everything will be in India. It was bad enough dealing with the piss-poor specs when the developers were in the next room. I've pencilled into my diary to be ready towards the end of 2009 to pick up the pieces.
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by shelby68 View Post
              Some already are, a Friend of mine worked for a major insurance company who are now trying to reverse engineer 5 years of battling with off shore madness and bring it all to the UK.
              Can you name?
              How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
                Can you name?
                Of course he can't. He has no friends.
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                  So whats the deal with Indian Development teams. Just had a project go two months over, which was interesting considering it was a six week project.

Not allowed to talk directly to the developers, have to go through the manager, who doesnt manage. Everything is sequential.

Went to a meeting and there were 20 people in it, of which only two spoke. Why?!?! WHY?!?

The whole thing was literal, no thought placed into anything, if it looked wrong, they programmed it wrong, when I questioned it, the team would say, well it looked wrong but thats what the BRD says, so we did it that way!!!!

Arggahhhhh!!

Has anyone had a successful implementation using an outsourced Indian dev team?
                  This is why you never, ever, ever trust the bastards with one of your projects!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                    One large company nearby have decided that they're not going to have any more on-site developers; everything will be in India. It was bad enough dealing with the piss-poor specs when the developers were in the next room. I've pencilled into my diary to be ready towards the end of 2009 to pick up the pieces.
                    Barclays in Poole perchance?

Comment

Originally posted by Marina View Post
                      Barclays in Poole perchance?
                      Ditto, I'm even thinking along the lines of going short on them too.
                      Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                      threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Working...
                      X