• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Geeks corner - Programming languages you have used

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    hmmm... Essex University computer science course, was it?
    Kent University. I think the guy was Prof. David Morse that invented it as a way of pissing off undergraduates by making us learn something ridiculously complicated that wasn't capable of doing anything useful whatsoever.
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

It was invented by Dave Turner - who was my lecturer in Functional Languages.
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
        It was invented by Dave Turner - who was my lecturer in Functional Languages.
        Yes you're right, wrong David:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_T...r_scientist%29

Comment

Missing off all the numpty stuff that I did at Uni:

Assembler (various)
          Coral 66
          PL/M
          FORTRAN
          BCPL
          RTL/2
          C
          C++

tim

Comment

Cordel
            Siftran
            EKAF
            IMTU
            Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Used or dabbled with most of the langauges mentioned. Plus a little Forth, so little it wouldn't be worth mentioning except for the fact that it hasn't been mentioned yet. Plus I've had occasion to write my own noddy language for my own amusement value.

Comment

Other than stuff at Uni the only ones I've ever really done any kind of serious progamming on were:

PERL
                Assorted Unix scripting languages
                LPC ( bastardised version of C++ used almost exclusively for programming online text games, or MUD's.)
                "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Java
                  Matlab
                  VB (inc VBA and VB Script)
                  C#
                  VB.Net
                  Perl
                  Javascript (does that count?)

I feel like a child in an old peoples home.
                  http://www.bluejumper.com

Comment

Datatrieve
                    COBOL
                    Pascal
                    SAS (and SCL)
                    Illegitimus non carborundum est!

Comment

Originally posted by Fran View Post
                      Javascript (does that count?)
                      I've done quite a lot with Javascript (or ECMAScript to be accurate), including building it into an application and writing an interpreter for it, plus using it with ASP (urgh). But I've little idea about Javascript as it's used on web pages.

You try explaining that to an agent who thinks that Javascript can only mean websites.

Comment

Working...
                      X