• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The North

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by expat View Post
    Every time an Englishman talks of "Britain" I use it to remind him that he really means "England".
    When I say Britain I mean Britain. If I mean England I say England.
    I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
    Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
      It's grim.

It is, I am much happier since I sold my 5 bed detached in 1 acre of lovely countryside, half a mile walk to the local village pub which served beer for £2 and was full of friendly northern folk. At least the money paid for a new bedsit in Chelsea which is much less grim, even if I couldn't swing a cat if I was allowed one and outside it is like Beirut on a good day.

- Northern monkey

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
        Every time an Englishman talks of "Britain" I use it to remind him that he really means "England".
        A REAL Englishman only talks of England he never says Britain, he says Scotland or Wales but of course he avoids these words wherever possible anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Archangel View Post
          It is, I am much happier since I sold my 5 bed detached in 1 acre of lovely countryside, half a mile walk to the local village pub which served beer for £2 and was full of friendly northern folk. At least the money paid for a new bedsit in Chelsea which is much less grim, even if I couldn't swing a cat if I was allowed one and outside it is like Beirut on a good day.

- Northern monkey
          Typical Northern griping bollux! I'm from South Wales. Moved to London as soon as I could. It was paradise! Yeah! even the outermost suburbs were paradise compare to South Wales - and most of the North, I imagine.

When I go back to Swansea (as infrequently as I can) I get thick ***** in pubs telling me how awful London is.

Brilliant!

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
            Typical Northern griping bollux! I'm from South Wales. Moved to London as soon as I could. It was paradise! Yeah! even the outermost suburbs were paradise compare to South Wales - and most of the North, I imagine.

When I go back to Swansea (as infrequently as I can) I get thick ***** in pubs telling me how awful London is.

Brilliant!
            Each to their own. I'm sure you will find plenty of those from more rural parts of the country saying that any big city is great / rubbish / OK.

I can't stand London, to be honest. But I work here because I earn a shed load of cash for doing so. And then I go back to my northern country retreat, which I love.
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
              I'm from South Wales.
              Say no more, anywhere would be better than South Wales.

Comment

Wot he said.
                If she weighs the same as a duck, she's made of wood. And therefore a witch!

Comment

Yeah I know.

It's a sad and pointless place now.

Once it fired the industrial revolution with its coal. Had more railways per square mile than anywhere on earth - but now, a sh1thole.

The thing that irks me most is that the 'local authorities' have done their best to obliterate and astroturf the place. Valuable, historical, industrial buildings and sites have been bulldozed to make way for ASDAs and other such, low-paying crap.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

I visited Abertawe once, and while waiting for a connecting train took a walk into town. Went into a shop and asked the guy behind the counter where the centre, the 'old town' was, you know, with older buildings? Not just the bland shopping centre pre-fab stuff?

He laughed and said: "There is no 'old town', The Second World War put paid to that".

Is that true?

Comment

Originally posted by realityhack View Post
                      I visited Abertawe once, and while waiting for a connecting train took a walk into town. Went into a shop and asked the guy behind the counter where the centre, the 'old town' was, you know, with older buildings? Not just the bland shopping centre pre-fab stuff?

He laughed and said: "There is no 'old town', The Second World War put paid to that".

Is that true?
                      Yep. Sadly, old ninja squirrel, it is entirely true!

Swansea was the most bombed city in the UK in WW2, apart from London.

The reason was the docks, and the infrastructure, railways, goods yards and so on, that surrounded the area.

It seems silly now, as Swansea docks are pretty much idle, and the town exists largely on state welfare.

Comment

Working...
                      X