• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Presumed Consent

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    Well, what a grumpy bunch of old cynics we have here for the most part. I assume that those opposing this scheme would also be in favour of signing up NOT to receive donor organs in an emergency?
    They should be awarded based on how physically attractive you are. We have too many mingers as it is.

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
      They should be awarded based on how physically attractive you are. We have too many mingers as it is.

Is that you opting out then DP?
      “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Is that you opting out then DP?

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
          2. Your bits will be whipped out 5 minutes after you last breath. No thanks.
          Errm, actually, that is over 5 minutes too late in a lot of cases. They want some of those organs while your body is still alive.

I used to carry a donor card in my wallet, had one pinned to the notice board behind my desk and at each job gave one to Personnel to attach to my file.

Then that stuff about the babies parts been harvested came out. Then the stuff about the women's bits collections.

I no longer carry donor cards and I have made it clear to friends and family those medico bastards are having none of me legally until they clean up their filthy act.

All Gordon Brown is thinking of here is the benefit to the Treasury anyway. Why not just have baby-breeding farms and harvest their organs? Jefferson 37, anybody?
          Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

Well, what a grumpy bunch of old cynics we have here for the most part. I assume that those opposing this scheme would also be in favour of signing up NOT to receive donor organs in an emergency?
            No....I'd join the list like everyone else. I firmly oppose what is effectively government ownership of dead bodies. This is a private domain, and should remain so unless the person has explicitly chosen otherwise.

Tony - I appreciate your point, but I believe the current scheme could work better given more thought, and that automatic organ harvesting is morally wrong.
            "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Imagine being in terrible pain, kept alive by a machine, waiting for a suitable recipient for your leftover bits. No thanks.

And to be consistent, yes I would take someone elses bits if I needed them - possibly saving them from a prolonged undignified death.

Comment

What's next, presumed consent with rape laws to stop prison overcrowding??

I'm sorry my dear but you did not say "not over my dead body" so you lose....

Comment

Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post
                  They can have everything except my corneas. I have no issue with my organs being harvested, but they're not cutting my eyes.
                  Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post
                  It's stupid, I know. I have no real reason for objecting, I just don't like the idea of it.
                  Snap...
                  Bazza gets caught
                  Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

Sorry Shaun, but you have no right to take the moral high ground or judge. Lots have people have reasons not to want to donate.

It should be my choice.
                    I am concerned about the system failing someone who as opted out. What if the sytem fails or they forgot their opt out card?

What happens when doc decides that your organs would be better harvested than trying to save you?

Sorry, but current voluntary system is best. If you want to bang the drum then get out there and persuade people to become donors.
                    I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
                    Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/Organ-Donation/

Only 4075 votes for this.....

Why haven't some of the more popular petitions been recognised and acted upon??

The right way to go about this would be to make registering on the organ donation database more accesible. When i was younger and considering a career in the military I signed up to a donor database so that my various body parts could be harvested for good causes/left around on the tube network by enterprising medical students/etc.

I have no idea how I would do this now if I wanted to, I also haven't seen a donor card knocking about for donkeys of years.

What they need to do is stick donor cards that we can fill in all over the palce and advertise a website where we can sign up to be on the donor database. If, for example, everybody knew they could go to www.donor.co.uk (made up URI) and register to have thier body parts fiddled with after death i'm sure lots more people would do it.

How about a useful use of "Web 2.0" hey?

Comment

Working...
                      X