• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Presumed Consent

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post
    They can have everything except my corneas. I have no issue with my organs being harvested, but they're not cutting my eyes.
    No that would hurt!

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
      No that would hurt!
      It's stupid, I know. I have no real reason for objecting, I just don't like the idea of it.
      ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
        It's a moot point as far as you're concerened SB coz I can't see anyone wanting your worn and ratty organs,
        You'd be surprised SG. I have already had a tempting quote from Sizewell B for my liver!!

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
        although I hear that the Primate Research Institute wants your brain as they're interested in how chimps would behave with a lower IQ
        Surely it would be less costly and time-consuming to simply invite you along to give an after-dinner speech?
        “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post

1. The database of opt-outs will not work, will not be availble etc.
          2. Your bits will be whipped out 5 minutes after you last breath. No thanks.
          3. Gordon Brown wants it, therefore it is a fooking bollox idea.
          4. Open to abuse and mistakes.

1. True
          2. Doesn't matter most people who would be of any use have a post mortem (chopped up after death) anyway. Least this way they get some use from you and it ain't by sticking one of your organs in a jar without your family's permission. Anyway most people who are of any use are those who ride motorbikes.
          3. It's not Gordon's idea. I think some doctors wanted it ages ago and Nu Labour wouldn't consider it.
          4. Yep if your family are screaming and crying cos they are against it no doctors going to try and use your bits whatever you wanted, as their own lives are too short.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
            You'd be surprised SG. I have already had a tempting quote from Sizewell B for my liver!!

Surely it would be less costly and time-consuming to simply invite you along to give an after-dinner speech?

Can't stay and play unfortunately, I actually have some work for a change
            Hard Brexit now!
            #prayfornodeal

Comment

I am totally against this. Is nothing sacred any more? Should the government have the right to assume ownership of your body after you are dead? IMO No.

I think that the present donor system should receive more promotion, perhaps as part of some sort of general studies in schools. The decision to donate organs should be a concious choice made by the donor, not a default position that the state can take advantage of.
              "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by Ruprect View Post
                I am totally against this. Is nothing sacred any more? Should the government have the right to assume ownership of your body after you are dead? IMO No.

I think that the present donor system should receive more promotion, perhaps as part of some sort of general studies in schools. The decision to donate organs should be a concious choice made by the donor, not a default position that the state can take advantage of.
                Exactly.

Comment

No thanks

I appreciate more donors might be needed, but this should be a matter of personal choice and not for the state to decide by default. This will dissuade (rather persuade) even more people from becoming potential donors.

Comment

That is an easy position to take if you or a loved one is not in need of a transplant. Many relatives only think about transplants after the person has been dead too long - if at all.

"This will dissuade (rather persuade) even more people from becoming potential donors. "

No it won't. Many people are open to the idea of donating their organs but they don't do it because they never get around to it. This method uses this apathy. You can opt out if you want. The simple fact is that many people will not bother to opt out in the same way that currently many people do not decide to opt in.

I'd say most people who are against these proposals would quickly change their views if one of their kids developed serious liver troubles and was in dire need of a transplant.
                    Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Well, what a grumpy bunch of old cynics we have here for the most part. I assume that those opposing this scheme would also be in favour of signing up NOT to receive donor organs in an emergency?
                      “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Working...
                      X