• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Boarding School

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Denny View Post
    Am I the only one on here who went to a comprehensive?

Though I do have an older sibling who went to a boarding school. He never talks about it so I guess he didn't like it as he avoids talking about stuff he doesn't like.

Anyway most of the people I know who went to boarding schools before they were 13 are eccentric there as those who went later seem "normal".
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I started as a boarder age 8, and was expelled at 15...

Comment

it was the best of times and it was the worst of times.

Comment

sum1 reeds a tail of twoo city's

<BGG in launching a deliberate spelling strike mode>
          Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

I thought boarding school was all about fagging, compulsory rugby on cold winter mornings, military drill on the playground, freezing cold classrooms, latin and classics homework for 4 hours a night, vile school dinners and being bullied by the Head Boy or Matron and being caned for any trivial offence.
            That's because thinking outside of stereotypes is just too difficult for your prejudiced, petty minded, biassed attitude. Rather like most of us

By dint of having both parents working as teachers at the school, I had a free place at a co-ed boarding school, as a day boy. The school was a "progressive" school - teachers called by their first name, no prefects, no head boy, no fagging, classrooms warm, no prize day, no latin, no classics, though the humanities and arts were promoted over sport or science, no corporal punishment, no uniform, kids encouraged to think independently (so long as independent meant bleeding heart wishy washy liberal).

On the plus side, there was very little bullying, small class sizes, and fairly competent teachers. Still, it was rather claustrophobic, and I was glad to do my A-levels at the local 6th form college, where I could drink beer without fear of expulsion.

If you want to know which one it was, Nick Mason went there and also, apparently, had a great time.
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Boarding School

Yeah I went to boarding school from age 13.

It as modelled on an English boarding school and managed to beautifully recreate the rugby, fagging, caning , bullying , tulip food and condescending teachers environment spawned by English boarding schools

I learned to love rugby from hating it, I developed physical fitness habits which I keep to this day. I developed an inner strength and sense of independence that I woulnt have done had I not been in that environment

All these things I wouldnt have unless I had been to that school. I enjoyed much of the time I spent at boarding school as well as there being times which where really bad.

Do I think my time there made me a better person... most definately.

The way I see it school is not supposed to be pleasent, its supposed to prepare you for life, which I think a boarding school environment does quite well.
              There are no evil thoughts except one: the refusal to think

Comment

Originally posted by sunnysan View Post

Do I think my time there made me a better person... most definitely.
                [..]
                Certainly not for spelling skills.
                I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

To the spelling Nazis

"Correct spelling, indeed, is one of the arts that are far more esteemed by schoolma'ams than by practical men, neck-deep in the heat and agony of the world."
                  -- Henry Louis Mencken

Sunny "Googler" San

Comment

To the spelling Nazis

"Correct spelling, indeed, is one of the arts that are far more esteemed by schoolma'ams than by practical men, neck-deep in the heat and agony of the world."
                    -- Henry Louis Mencken

Sunny "Googler" San

Comment

Am I the only one on here who went to a comprehensive?
                      I went to a comprehensive.

I don't get this about rugby. Rugby was compulsory at my school. Did everyone else go to sport optional schools?
                      Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Working...
                      X