• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Boarding School

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Boarding School"

Collapse

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
    Went to a carppy comprehensive, don't need Friends Reunited to find former classmates, just need to contact Barlinnie Prison for visiting hours.

Leave a comment:

• Cliphead
    replied
    Went to a crappy comprehensive, don't need Friends Reunited to find former classmates, just need to contact Barlinnie Prison for visiting hours.

Leave a comment:

• Bear
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    There seems to be a confusion between public schools (caning, fagging etc. )and private schools - the parents pay for their children to go there. The first is a subset of the second. The second has a wide variety of philosophies.

There are still in existence state boarding schools - some of the remote Scottish Isles for example send their kids to such institutions.
    Mine was a state boarding school.

Education paid for by the state (like a comprehensive). Boarding paid for by parents.

although I think the education was better by virtue of the fact it was a boarding school.

Oh and Yes - it was compulsory Rugby - but then all lessons were compulsory!

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    There seems to be a confusion between public schools (caning, fagging etc. )and private schools - the parents pay for their children to go there. The first is a subset of the second. The second has a wide variety of philosophies.

There are still in existence state boarding schools - some of the remote Scottish Isles for example send their kids to such institutions.

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Originally posted by Denny View Post
    Am I the only one on here who went to a comprehensive?
    I went to a comprehensive.

I don't get this about rugby. Rugby was compulsory at my school. Did everyone else go to sport optional schools?

Leave a comment:

• sunnysan
    replied
    To the spelling Nazis

"Correct spelling, indeed, is one of the arts that are far more esteemed by schoolma'ams than by practical men, neck-deep in the heat and agony of the world."
    -- Henry Louis Mencken

Sunny "Googler" San

Leave a comment:

• sunnysan
    replied
    To the spelling Nazis

"Correct spelling, indeed, is one of the arts that are far more esteemed by schoolma'ams than by practical men, neck-deep in the heat and agony of the world."
    -- Henry Louis Mencken

Sunny "Googler" San

Leave a comment:

• Francko
    replied
    Originally posted by sunnysan View Post

Do I think my time there made me a better person... most definitely.
    [..]
    Certainly not for spelling skills.

Leave a comment:

• sunnysan
    replied
    Boarding School

Yeah I went to boarding school from age 13.

It as modelled on an English boarding school and managed to beautifully recreate the rugby, fagging, caning , bullying , tulip food and condescending teachers environment spawned by English boarding schools

I learned to love rugby from hating it, I developed physical fitness habits which I keep to this day. I developed an inner strength and sense of independence that I woulnt have done had I not been in that environment

All these things I wouldnt have unless I had been to that school. I enjoyed much of the time I spent at boarding school as well as there being times which where really bad.

Do I think my time there made me a better person... most definately.

The way I see it school is not supposed to be pleasent, its supposed to prepare you for life, which I think a boarding school environment does quite well.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    I thought boarding school was all about fagging, compulsory rugby on cold winter mornings, military drill on the playground, freezing cold classrooms, latin and classics homework for 4 hours a night, vile school dinners and being bullied by the Head Boy or Matron and being caned for any trivial offence.
    That's because thinking outside of stereotypes is just too difficult for your prejudiced, petty minded, biassed attitude. Rather like most of us

By dint of having both parents working as teachers at the school, I had a free place at a co-ed boarding school, as a day boy. The school was a "progressive" school - teachers called by their first name, no prefects, no head boy, no fagging, classrooms warm, no prize day, no latin, no classics, though the humanities and arts were promoted over sport or science, no corporal punishment, no uniform, kids encouraged to think independently (so long as independent meant bleeding heart wishy washy liberal).

On the plus side, there was very little bullying, small class sizes, and fairly competent teachers. Still, it was rather claustrophobic, and I was glad to do my A-levels at the local 6th form college, where I could drink beer without fear of expulsion.

If you want to know which one it was, Nick Mason went there and also, apparently, had a great time.

Leave a comment:

• Board Game Geek
    replied
    sum1 reeds a tail of twoo city's

<BGG in launching a deliberate spelling strike mode>

Leave a comment:

• DS23
    replied
    it was the best of times and it was the worst of times.

Leave a comment:

• Lucy
    replied
    I started as a boarder age 8, and was expelled at 15...

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied

Though I do have an older sibling who went to a boarding school. He never talks about it so I guess he didn't like it as he avoids talking about stuff he doesn't like.

Anyway most of the people I know who went to boarding schools before they were 13 are eccentric there as those who went later seem "normal".

Leave a comment:

• Denny
    replied

Thankfully, it was a very good one, and more like a grammar school in terms of academic standards, school ethos and so on. I did well there on the whole and enjoyed it.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X