• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Management Speak

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by realityhack View Post
    Are you on the bus? You'd better get on the bus if we're to raise the bar and up tier our output this quarter, no time for wallflowers here my friends - you've got to pluck the low hanging fruit and create more output with less effort.

etc. etc. etc. ad nauseum...
    Of course as any commercial fruit grower can tell you, the low-hanging fruit is the rubbish that hasn't had much sun - better to let it fall than waste time with it. It's the fruit up the top of the tree that has the highest quality.

Low-hanging fruit is only fit for scavenging wildlife.

Comment

Other management-speak gobbledegook

Leverage, synergies, engage, interface, parachute in.

Comment

Of course as any commercial fruit grower can tell you, the low-hanging fruit is the rubbish that hasn't had much sun - better to let it fall than waste time with it. It's the fruit up the top of the tree that has the highest quality.

Low-hanging fruit is only fit for scavenging wildlife.
        Not true. The fruit at the top is often sun burnt. all depends on the climate.

Comment

Originally posted by tay View Post
          Not true. The fruit at the top is often sun burnt. all depends on the climate.
          Ah, indeed; I can see that being an issue in the more northerly regions of your homeland, but an excess of sun is unlikely to be much of a problem in the UK

Comment

One of my small pleasures, in a little things please little minds way, is to play the dumb foreigner and get them to explain what they've just said, for my benefit.

Methinks it's a smart way to avoid being invited to those kinds of meetings in the first place.
            Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
            threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded View Post
              One of my small pleasures, in a little things please little minds way, is to play the dumb foreigner and get them to explain what they've just said, for my benefit.

Methinks it's a smart way to avoid being invited to those kinds of meetings in the first place.
              Be

Sorry Threaded, couldn't resist
              Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Originally posted by swamp View Post
                I often hear the word 'performant'. As in 'the system is performant', meaning it runs fast enough.

Trouble is 'performant' isn't a word in the English language.
                It's in Websters - noun. definition: a performer. Have to check to OED when I get home.

Its current usage probably comes from the German and French word "Performant" meaning "High Performance".
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

They obviously didn't take the holistic approach.
                  Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Working...
                  X