• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Best location to live for UK contractors

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Signo_cypher View Post
    I live in Milton Keynes, great range of property and not overly inflated house prices, fairly central and good road and rail links.

Currently commuting to slough 3 days a week
    Milton Keynes to Slough.. ever tempted to top yourself?

I think the Reading area is best. Just avoid Oxford Road - drugs, pimps, prossies etc.. unless that suits you.

Comment

When I lived in Longbridge on the outskirts of Birmingham, I used to get up at 04:30 travel by bus to New Street Station.

Then catch the train to Oxford, then change to Didcot, and do a Linford down the steps under the subway, and up the steps to the other platform to catch the train to Swindon.

Then I would catch the free bus outside the station to work.

Then I would do the same journey back. At the time it cost me £97 a week.

A few weeks later the London Bombings occured, and I found out by chance that there was a train from Swindon to Cheltenham. (at the time nationalrail.co.uk didn't list this route) so I changed at Cheltenham, for New St and then travelled back up the line to Longbridge.

Of where I then did the new route there and back each day until the end of my contract.

When I moved home to Nottingham, I used to travel by train to Derby, change at Derby for New Street, then change for Walsall then catch a bus out to a place called Brownhills. Did that everyday for 3 months.

Then I used to travel from Nottingam to Luton everyday for £120 a week train fare. 1hr 30 mins in total.

I now travel from Nottingham to Birmingham everyday, 1hr 30 mins travel for £70 a week.

Comment

Originally posted by LJames75 View Post
        When I lived in Longbridge on the outskirts of Birmingham, I used to get up at 04:30 travel by bus to New Street Station.

Then catch the train to Oxford, then change to Didcot, and do a Linford down the steps under the subway, and up the steps to the other platform to catch the train to Swindon.

Then I would catch the free bus outside the station to work.

Then I would do the same journey back. At the time it cost me £97 a week.

A few weeks later the London Bombings occured, and I found out by chance that there was a train from Swindon to Cheltenham. (at the time nationalrail.co.uk didn't list this route) so I changed at Cheltenham, for New St and then travelled back up the line to Longbridge.

Of where I then did the new route there and back each day until the end of my contract.

When I moved home to Nottingham, I used to travel by train to Derby, change at Derby for New Street, then change for Walsall then catch a bus out to a place called Brownhills. Did that everyday for 3 months.

Then I used to travel from Nottingam to Luton everyday for £120 a week train fare. 1hr 30 mins in total.

I now travel from Nottingham to Birmingham everyday, 1hr 30 mins travel for £70 a week.
        Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz..............

Comment

I do logistics. I live in the "golden traingle" that is formed by the M1, M6, M69.

Current role is a trek though. Only took it as it would have meant the same Client on my CV twice with a years gap (another project), same team, differnet project. Looks good etc.

Comment

Doncaster
            Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
            threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded View Post
              Doncaster
              That's where my last contract was. The massive place next to J6 M18 you partly have me to thank for.

Comment

I live in Leicestershire, there must be other places that would be more convenient on paper, but I can't stand the South of England (except as a place to work, when forced)

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
                  I live in the "golden traingle" that is formed by the M1, M6, M69.

tulipehole dump
                  Hard Brexit now!
                  #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
                    I live in Leicestershire
                    Tis indeed a nice part o the world!

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
                      Tis indeed a nice part o the world!
                      Indeed it is.

Originally posted by sasguru View Post

tulipehole dump
                      Well yes but commercial land prices are almost second only to Heathrow. Well they were when I looked last year.

Comment

Working...
                      X