• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Best location to live for UK contractors

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    However a 5+ bed detached house set in several acres of land is going to be somewhat pricey.
    There's a house in Chelsea with a couple of acres of private garden. It's called The Rectory, and it's reputed to be the most expensive property in London:

http://www.rbkc.gov.uk/vmtours/chels...urchstreet.asp

I remember the Evening Standard reckoned it was worth £100m, but that was before the boom in Prime Central London property
    Cats are evil.

Comment

Originally posted by swamp View Post
      There's a house in Chelsea with a couple of acres of private garden. It's called The Rectory, and it's reputed to be the most expensive property in London:

http://www.rbkc.gov.uk/vmtours/chels...urchstreet.asp

I remember the Evening Standard reckoned it was worth £100m, but that was before the boom in Prime Central London property
      I'll be buying that forra fiver come the crash.

Comment

Some guy bought a place in London yesterday for £35million, the stair cost £750k on there own http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv...n_page_id=1770

Looks like my pad only not as big

Comment

Thanks for the replies. Interesting to see different people's experiences and thoughts on the matter, even Mr/Mrs Dow Jones !

Swindon it is then ......

Used to live near there in the 90s then left the country for 12 years....

Comment

Originally posted by Spikey View Post
            Sick of moving the family or doing the weekly commute and started looking into the best place to live in the UK for a contractor. It needs to be within commuting distance of many potential clients so that we don't have to move every time i change contracts ....

I was thinking it really has to be the south east and therefore living in Surrey, Berkshire for access to London, M4 corridor etc.

Any opinions, ideas or experiences?

Cheers,
            Spikey
            If I had to move down to the south again I would consider rural Buckinghamshire, not to be confused with the horrible concrete jungle side of it e.g. High Wycombe. The best thing about bucks is it's in the south east but still fairly easy to get to other parts of the UK, it's also a lot less overcrowded than areas closer to the m25
            The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
              Hey that's unfair. Only 98% of Swindon is like this, the rest of it is okay.
              They build Honda cars in Swindon (Say no more Eh!)
              Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Originally posted by Spikey View Post
                Sick of moving the family or doing the weekly commute and started looking into the best place to live in the UK for a contractor. It needs to be within commuting distance of many potential clients so that we don't have to move every time i change contracts ....

I was thinking it really has to be the south east and therefore living in Surrey, Berkshire for access to London, M4 corridor etc.

Any opinions, ideas or experiences?

Cheers,
                Spikey
                West London
                "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Newport, South Wales Handy for everywhere in Wales, the South and Midlands
                  Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Bucks would be pretty good as Baggy said. M3 / M4 corridor also is a good bet. All reflected in the rude house prices of course. Wait for the crash and get one before DimPrawn hoovers them all up.

Just make sure you're within reasonable distance of a mainline station but pass your bike test as well.

Comment

Area's around Silverstone are good.

You are slap bang in between the M1 and M40, Major train staions in Northampton and Banbury and the house prices aren't too bad either.

Comment

Working...
                      X