• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Best location to live for UK contractors

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Between the breasts of a 21 year old lingerie model

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
      wherever I lay my blow-up doll, thats my home.

You are Baggy and I claim my 5 mini puncture repair kits
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by Dow Jones View Post
        why would you need to commute? If you mean driving, it's the worst type of commuting.
        - People commute for any number of reasons, needing to interact/meet/consult with others being just some reasons.

- Driving is actually my preferred form of commuting

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
          You are Baggy and I claim my 5 mini puncture repair kits
          mm. I gave it a love bite on the neck last week and it went down on me

(\__/)
          (>'.'<)
          ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by nucastle View Post
            I'd say the home counties, near a suburban line into london if you need it, is ideal.

Im in the M4 corridor area right now, between london and reading, and its turned out very good for the past 3 contracts - none of them being more than 35-60 minutes drive away, and all accessible by train if need be.

.... more importantly its outside of london, where i dont want to work. But its a necessary evil in some cases so its handy being within an hour on the train to waterloo.
            We call that "Slough"
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Pick up some train timetables from the different mainline London stations (or just use lots of searches on nationalrail.com) choose how long you want your max commute is and use the timetables to work out potential towns to live in.

You'll be surprised how far some of the express trains can go in 30 mins or less (Reading, St. Albans, Croydon, Woking, Brentwood, to name a few) because they are the first stop. You'll bet more bricks for your bucks in these places than you'd get from a town closer to the city, but a longer commute because the transport services aren't as good.
              It's about time I changed this sig...

Comment

If you work in the City you can either go East to Brentwood, South East to Kent or North East to Bishop's Stortford. To make life easy stay on that side of London and console yourself it won't be for ever.

I live in Winchester which is great but I tend to rent in London during the week and go home weekends.
                ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                  We call that "Slough"
                  "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

I'm Surrey based and have never had to live away for a contract.

It might be that my sector (meedjah) is mostly in London though.

Comment

I'm no expert, but I reckon living in Chelsea, Kensington or Westminster has to be the best place to live for IT contracting.

However a 5+ bed detached house set in several acres of land is going to be somewhat pricey.

Comment

Working...
                      X