• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Speed Cameras / Speeding tickets

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    What is wrong with Cruise control?
    Will it go down from 40 to 30 when speed limit changes?

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
      I was thinking of a town setting, set at 30mph. You could turn it off at 40 stretches, or stick to 30 there too.
      I suppose you could do that but personally I don't trust such devices much - enough practice gives me good feel what my speed is, the only big issue is not to miss sneaky speed limit change from 40 to 30.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
        I enough practice gives me good feel what my speed is, the only big issue is not to miss sneaky speed limit change from 40 to 30.
        That's what I thought, until today. Note, this is my first ever speeding ticket. The eyes will have to be more glued to the speedo than previously thought...though there is a certain amount of 'complacency breeds contempt' involved here too I suppose.

Comment

The main question here is whether you were speeding or not. Mistakes do happen even though those guys hate admitting to them - in your case however going for a course is a nice option, I wish it was offered to me when I first got nabbed

Comment

The main question here is whether you were speeding or not. Mistakes do happen even though those guys hate admitting to them - in your case however going for a course is a nice option, I wish it was offered to me when I first got nabbed
            Yes, the course might be fun. Things like stopping distances will be covered. I will have to refrain from providing extra variables involved here, including the acceleration due to gravity, road surface and looking at the speedo

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
              Things like stopping distances will be covered.
              I don't think most drivers appreciate those at all - despite advancements in car safety etc, stopping distances do not change much, so those tailgating knobs should really be pulled by police and given 3 points there and then. Unfortunately from Nue Liebor point of view it won't generate as much tax as speed cameras do.

Comment

so those tailgating knobs should really be pulled by police and given 3 points there and then.
                Nail, head, got it. I do agree with the 30mph limit in towns though. I did the crime (allegedly) now I've got to do the time...

Anyway Hitchhikers Guide just about to start on BBC2 cya laters.

Comment

I think they need to make it 25 mph in build-up areas, unless maybe at night - 5 mph do not sound much but they will make good difference in terms of injuries, people forget that in the UK (despite good road safety) 3500 people die every year from car accidents, that's 7/7 happening every week.

Comment

Will it go down from 40 to 30 when speed limit changes?
                    I use cruise to stay within limits - easy to alter for 40 - 30 much easier than trying to keep within limit manually
                    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

I think they need to make it 25 mph in build-up areas, unless maybe at night - 5 mph do not sound much but they will make good difference in terms of injuries, people forget that in the UK (despite good road safety) 3500 people die every year from car accidents, that's 7/7 happening every week.
                      20mph would be better. Or put petrol to £5/litre.

Comment

Working...
                      X