• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Extension :confused:

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by aj1977 View Post
    What bargaining chips do you have to justify an increase? -- Have'nt started looking ,so no offers as such

How long was your original contract? -- 3 Months

Have your responsibilities changed markedly during the contract
    --Yes have taken ownership and delivered many critical areas
    Ok, let's take the points one by one.

Firstly, having another contract in the bag isn't that great a bargaining chip - you're offering the client nothing.

Secondly, I think 3 months is a little soon to be asking for a rate rise, 6 months possibly, 12 months definitely.

Thirdly, you've delivered on what you've already been paid for. In effect you've completed your side of the contract.

My advice, take it or leave it would be to accept the extension at your current rate if 6 months or less. If they offer 12 months then ask for an increase to cover inflation.

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
      Ok, let's take the points one by one.

Firstly, having another contract in the bag isn't that great a bargaining chip - you're offering the client nothing.

Secondly, I think 3 months is a little soon to be asking for a rate rise, 6 months possibly, 12 months definitely.

Thirdly, you've delivered on what you've already been paid for. In effect you've completed your side of the contract.

My advice, take it or leave it would be to accept the extension at your current rate if 6 months or less. If they offer 12 months then ask for an increase to cover inflation.
      I take it black with no sugar. Bring me a Digestive, while you're about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny View Post
        As much as I appreciate your attention, you're not my type.

Haven't you a bunny to boil somewhere?

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
          As much as I appreciate your attention, you're not my type.

Haven't you a bunny to boil somewhere?
          Yes, but I can't seem to find you to stick in the pot.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny View Post
            oi...u got others thread to hijack..leave this one

Comment

I think is against the forum rules - I've been told off about it before by ferret.
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                I think is against the forum rules - I've been told off about it before by ferret.
                Although it could be argued that this thread should be in "Business/Contracts" and is therefore off topic already

After all, one person's extension isn't necessarily an issue "affecting and of interest to contractors" - unlike, say, house prices, foreigners, rugby football, people's children's friends doing coke, patterns of behaviour of mobile telephone users, CUK titles...

Comment

aw! little monkey!!

Your rate negotiation is with the agency, not with the end client. The end client need never be aware of it. Since the agent won't have a clue about what you do or what has happened on the site just make up any old carp to justify an increase. It's the agents job to keep the client sweet from a rate perspective, don't forget they are supplying you, you are not supplying you.

Comment

Nowt to stop you doing what you want. All this "a verbal contract is a contract" stuff is worth as much as the paper it is not written on if you think about it. Proof? He definitely said it m'lud.

Yes, I suppose there is a moral/ethical* aspect if you have given a definite undertaking that they have relied on, but that hardly applies to a casual conversation when you were given no time to consider.

*Not that we give a <whatever flower excrement translates to today> about morality/ethics.
                    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Working...
                    X