• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What can I do with a 3 month notice period?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NetwkSupport View Post
    lets face it - what are they gonna do?

worst case, they wont pay you....but just line up leaving with your next payday.

they wont sue.
    When I left, the IT director kept baning on about making me work to the contract. Luckily my boss was married to an HR director in another business, and her advice was just to let it all go.

It's not worth having an unhappy employee being made to stay.

JFDI.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by tsu3000 View Post
      Hi

This is my first post and I hope someone can help.

I am considering contracting for the first time but my notice period is 3 months. So this makes it very difficult to look for contracts. I was thinking in trying to negotiate with my boss to reduce this to 1 month and promise him I do a proper handover etc. to ensure a smooth transition. That way he may see some sense and let me go early.

If he refuses then I see it as a high risk strategy to just hand in my notice without anything to go to.

Any advice on this would be appreciated.

Thanks!
      When I started contracting I had a 3 month notice period, but managed to negotiate it down to 1 month. But.. if your skills are in demand the client might wait for 3 months, the agency won't tell you the truth on this front as they want someone to start as soon as possible earning them commision. Sell yourself to the client and negotiate start times with them while negotiating an early release from your notice period
      The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
        When I left, the IT director kept baning on about making me work to the contract. Luckily my boss was married to an HR director in another business, and her advice was just to let it all go.

It's not worth having an unhappy employee being made to stay.

JFDI.
        Anti-slavery laws prevent anyone being made to stay!
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Thanks for all the replies.

I would prefer to leave on good terms because one day they may work for them again. I think is a good thing to have good relations in the long term.

Maybe I am just a soft permie at the moment and not a hardened contractor

Comment

I would prefer to leave on good terms because one day I may work for them again. I think is a good thing to have good relations in the long term.
            ... are the words you would expect to hear from ...

a hardened contractor
            Thinking ahead, doing your research, thinking about future clients - I reckon you'll do just fine as a freelance.
            Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

Working...
            X