• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ex-CIA agent: We used torture and it worked

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    Apparently, in Egypt, suspected members of terrorist groups were rounded up and tortured. This severely impacted the efficacy of the terrorist organisations, because the stooges that they use to actually carry out the attacks were not so willingly recruited, knowing they faced torture if they were suspected. So there does appear to be a deterrent effect.

Perhaps we should bring back the birch.
    Now there's a leap in logic

Anaecdotal evidence about the effects of systematic state oppresion in a country that doesn't tolerate any real organised opposition (though they're our mates so thats ok) makes a good case for birching? Impressive

What about beating the soles of their feet, or amputations? Birching sounds like bleeding-heart liberalism to me

Comment

I would only condone the use of torture to save the life of a child

Adults can look out for themselves
      That makes absolutely zero sense. Did you grow bomb proof skin as you get older?

Comment

Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
        Although I see the need for torture, and do appreciate that some people might find it a bit icky, I would have thought a safer bet would be to use truth serums ?
        What, like they did with that posh totty chick in star wars?

Anyways, Im sure some human rights group more intent on losing the war on terror than winning it, would still call the use of this type of syrum a type of torture

Face it, somewhere along the way the backbone of the west was replaced with some soft white mushy stuff.

Organisations use things like waterboarding because it works and with all things that involve humans, if it didnt work it wouldnt be used.

Mailman

Comment

You're a wonderful human being MM. Must be great going through life with a child's brain, things are so simple.
          Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Originally posted by Rantor View Post
            Now there's a leap in logic

Anaecdotal evidence about the effects of systematic state oppresion in a country that doesn't tolerate any real organised opposition (though they're our mates so thats ok) makes a good case for birching? Impressive

What about beating the soles of their feet, or amputations? Birching sounds like bleeding-heart liberalism to me
            Forget about cutting of hands - cut of their heads. Then they don't even think about wrong-doing again.

( For the record - I don't condone torture under any circumstances, even when it's alledgedly done to "save the life of a child" ).
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by Mailman View Post
              Organisations use things like waterboarding because it works and with all things that involve humans, if it didnt work it wouldnt be used.
              Perhaps they use it because they enjoy inflicting pain and suffering on helpless victims, and, as in Egypt, to terrorise people into behaving.

Comment

I get the impression that not only would MM endorse torture, but he'd probably be quite happy actually doing it as well. He just gives off the right combination of vindictive, sadistic vibes touched with a complete lack of any kind of compassion and the moral complexity of an earthworm.

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Originally posted by snaw View Post
                  You're a wonderful human being MM. Must be great going through life with a child's brain, things are so simple.
                  Chopper Harley says...
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unkIVvjZc9Y

Mailman

Comment

Originally posted by Mailman View Post
                    Chopper Harley says...
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unkIVvjZc9Y

Mailman
                    WTF is chopper harley? He like chopper reid's soft as tulipe cousin? You can't even get the names correct on your 'insults' ...

Moron.

Comment

Originally posted by snaw View Post
                      I get the impression that not only would MM endorse torture, but he'd probably be quite happy actually doing it as well. He just gives off the right combination of vindictive, sadistic vibes touched with a complete lack of any kind of compassion and the moral complexity of an earthworm.
                      You say that he has the moral complexity of an earthworm? I disagree. I think he hasn't the moral complexity of an earthworm.

Comment

Working...
                      X