• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Age laws in the UK

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    I went to a pub yesterday lunchtime and somebody turned up with her 5-year old daughter. The landlord told them they didn't have a licence and would have to leave, which she did after grumbling about it for a while.

When I was young we were never allowed in pubs, I think the only exception was the bar of a hotel we were staying at. When did it all change?
    It's an attitude thing. Years ago a pub was somewhere to get away from Juveniles.

However, over the past 30 years rising costs, alternative past-times and the drink-driving laws have closed down many pubs.

So they are becoming "family friendly", in order to get business.

Comment

Originally posted by wendigo100 View Post
      I thought their presence at any age is at the licencee's discretion. My son first started accompanying me to the pub after training when he was eight, in 2002.

Drinking alcohol is obviously another matter.
      Yes, wendigo100 is correct. Even after all the recent changes to the law, admission to the premises regardless of who can legally buy what for whom is still at the licensee's discretion. Some places welcome children of any age, some have a curfew (no under 18s after 20:00, say), some say no under 14s, some city centre vertical drinking establishments say no under 21s.

It's the licensee's gaff so he/she sets the admission rules within the law.
      I'm Spartacus.

Comment

Do call me Wendigo. Wendigo100 is so formal.

Comment

Originally posted by wendigo100 View Post
          Do call me Wendigo. Wendigo100 is so formal.

You can call me Spartacus.

And everyone else on the board except Zeitghost, now I come to mention it.
          I'm Spartacus.

Comment

Working...
          X