• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Luckiest contractor

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh and I forgot.. that although she is a Kiwi... she had a British passport.. which meant we could both work here as long as we wanted.

Comment

Originally posted by tay View Post
      Nope she cooks all the meals, cleans the house and washes and irons all my clothes.... in fact WHAT THE HELL does she see in me????

She must be cheating on me!
      Sounds like a pretty good deal to me... Is she attractive?

Comment

Sounds like a pretty good deal to me... Is she attractive?
        Very.

I only managed to get her as we were young when we met and I have kept her sufficiently brainwashed ever since. Thats the key I think, if became single again now, I would fare very badly in the 'getting a decent woman' stakes.

Comment

Very.

I only managed to get her as we were young when we met and I have kept her sufficiently brainwashed ever since. Thats the key I think, if became single again now, I would fare very badly in the 'getting a decent woman' stakes.
          I had a similar deal many years ago, before she wised up and left.

Comment

Very.

Well played.

I reckon the trick these days is to find a naturally beautiful woman who isn't utilising her genetic gift of beauty (a 'closet bird' if you will) and to develop her whilst keeping her sufficiently brainwashed to be tied to you. Lot less hassle than girls who know they're nice.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
              I had a similar deal many years ago, before she wised up and left.
              Silly boy, should've got her knocked up.

Comment

Attractiveness and low self esteem, the ultimate combination!

Peep Show
                The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by Charles Foster Kane View Post
                  Silly boy, should've got her knocked up.
                  I know!

Comment

Attractiveness and low self esteem, the ultimate combination!
                    That was probably it. She lacked a lot of confidence, but I have spent years building it up, which either means

a) she will ditch me now
                    b) she appreciates the positive reinforcement and it has bought us closer together.

So far its all b ..

Comment

I was lucky enough to become a mature student at just the time when full grants were still available and a mature student allowance paid. If I'd gone to uni' any later I would have had to take out and pay back a student loan and probably not get a mature student allowance either. In fact, with my temp work at the time I probably wouldn't have gone at all.

Got a lucky break getting into my current field, based on a fornight's assignment as a temp about 3-4 years previously at the just the same place the programme interviewer was working at the time. She remembered my work and me and I didn't even have to interview, as a result. So, instead of trying hard to get my first contract gig, as many do, I was quickly elevated from temp roles paying £12 an hour max, to a role paying £40 per hour. That's one heck of a 'payrise'.

Chance meeting with an ongoing private client based on a chance cold call to a consultancy to offer my services about 10 years ago. I left my card and didn't hear from them again and never really expected to. Then, out of the blue, a couple of years later, I got a call from an ex-consultant who'd now left the same company who was setting up on his own and he asked me to work on his first report and PR strategy to get his name in the marketplace. He has been a steady client ever since.

The best comes last though:

Last year I was going through Heathrow with a friend who was meeting me and looked down at my bag trolley and found, to my absolute horror, that my small rucksack was missing. I assumed it had been 'lifted'. I had just returned from a business trip and all my work (filming tapes that were irreplaceable) and my other valuables, including an expensive opal I had purchased, my documents and passport, my purse ....everything was in it.

I retraced my steps and a minute or so later, found the little bugger lying by the door. So it must have just fallen off. Luckily, for me, the amount of fear about terrorist threats and the added security ensured that no one was about to pick up an unattended bag in case it was a bomb.

It very nearly was for me, though. A bombshell, that is....

Comment

Working...
                      X