• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Racist Hairdresser Sued

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Not So Wise View Post

In this world it's first impressions that count and image it about 90% of that first impression and the impression that a woman who never shows her hair in public is not one that many people would view as favorable for a salon
    It makes no difference now as the salon owner has now lost lots of money whether the case goes to a full tribunal hearing or not.

I spoke to someone who runs a small business who also employs non-family members. An ex-employer of theirs submitted an employment tribunal claim and they were told to settle as it was cheaper. Fighting it would cost them approximately £40,000 in solicitors fees if it went to a full hearing. In a tribunal except in rare cases, both sides pay for their own lawyers whether they win or lose.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Sounds like hiring illegal immigrants is a lot cheaper...

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
        Sounds like hiring illegal immigrants is a lot cheaper...
        And probably better qualified.

Comment

both sides pay for their own lawyers whether they win or lose.
          So who is picking up the bill for this woman who is suing if she cannot even get a job as a hairdresser? Oh, oh, hang on a minute, let me geuss.
          bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
          John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
            So who is picking up the bill for this woman who is suing if she cannot even get a job as a hairdresser? Oh, oh, hang on a minute, let me geuss.
            Actually she is likely to be using a no-win no-fee solicitor who wants to make a name for themselves. Most cases that seem to be in the papers have solicitor involvement.

If she wins or more likely settles, the solicitor gets a massive chunk of her compensation. If she takes it to the full hearing and loses the solicitor gets nothing.

What the taxpayer pays for is the administration that goes into trying to get the parties to settle.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
              Women rarely go in for passing trade. (I'm one so I know.)

I've also gone up to women I seen in the street and asked them where they got their hair done.

Bye I'm off.
              sounds more like a lesbian pick up line ot me....
              Some people are like slinkys, totally pointless but the thought of pushing them down a flight of stairs never fails to put a smile on your face.

Comment

Working...
              X