• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Peak district or Lake district

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    One of the permies at my client site was killed this weekend in a motorbike accident in the Peak District. Everyone was very glum, and most of his colleagues, or ex-colleagues now I suppose, got bladdered in the local pub this afternoon. I don't know the details - maybe he bombed it round a corner and straight into a sheep or something.

Out of morbid curiousity, what do bikers reading this reckon would be the most likely scenario? What would you be most on the lookout for? (apart from the peaks, to forestall the sarky among us).
    Driving down a straight road with the right of way, a silly fscker in a cloth cap, full face beard, and icthus stickered Volvo pulled out and laughed as he murdered him.

HTH

Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
      Out of morbid curiousity, what do bikers reading this reckon would be the most likely scenario? What would you be most on the lookout for? (apart from the peaks, to forestall the sarky among us).
      The trouble is that the Peak District has some of the best scratching roads in the UK. The Macclesfield to Buxton was the scene of many stupid idiotic foolish impromptu races during my youth - luckily no one killed but in hindsight it was close sometimes.
      Memories from youth:
      Adverse cambers could catch the unwary and lead to rider and machine parting company... if you do it on the wrong bend and end up on the opposite carriageway with vehicles coming.. you're dead.

Sheep... they wander around freely and if hit at speed do wonders for removing you from the gene pool.

Losing it on a bend and hitting the Armco is a good one

Cat & Fiddle pub is usually shrouded in mist / fog - the trouble is it is on a long straight so most riders open it up without seeing the sheep

But all in all bl00dy good fun...
      How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
        Lake district for me....

Lake District for me too.
        It's Deja-vu all over again!

Comment

I spent 5 months commuting from Manchester to chesterfield, found a very good route through the peaks, totally unsuitable for trucks and in some places narrow enough to have to slow down when passing cars coming in the other directions.

Peaks or Lakes?
          Lakes, but avoid the south east part on a weekend, it will be busy with tourists
          There are some nice caves in the peaks though
          Coffee's for closers

Comment

Lakes for me. If it's summer and busy then you have to go to less well known spots off the main through roads. Try the east side of Ullswater.

Comment

Working...
            X