• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Why are moths attracted to bright lights?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SandyDown View Post
    OK moon or lamps... whatever, they love the light, therefore why do they sleep during the daylight and wake up at night? If they really liked the light shouldn't they get during the day so that they?d get plenty of light (ok not talking UK here)
    They need to sleep during the day because their predators eg. birds are up during the day. The birds go to sleep at night so they wake up and go wild around lights.
    Don't ask Beaker. He's just another muppet.

Comment

Originally posted by beaker View Post
      They need to sleep during the day because their predators eg. birds are up during the day. The birds go to sleep at night so they wake up and go wild around lights.
      Don't make sense beaker ... you should never sleep or close an eye if your enemies are out and about trying to get you... can you imagine: Clint Eastwood with his huge gun and his poncho (for a few dollars more) being chased by all the badies, and what dos he do ...errrr do you think he'd say: oh am gona have a little nap so no one can find me
      Last edited by SandyDown; 3 November 2007, 00:35.

Comment

Clint Eastwood with his huge gun and his poncho ...errrr do you think he'd say: oh am gona have a little nap so no one can find me
        He said that to me last Tuesday.

I'm not going to let ClintCorp Inc. con me into "accommodating a special guest" again.

Comment

Oh, to return to your original question, Sandy:
          1. Moths are nocturnal creatures;
          2. They navigate by assessing their position by the light (by the light, by the light) of the silvery moon;
          3. They have never evolved a method, technique, or aptitude for distinguishing light generated by humans/apes/forest fires/ Rupert Murdoch/ from the moon they strive to navigate by;

They lose. They are generally very beautiful, but as long as there are potentially misleading sources of photons that are closer then 248,000 miles away, the moths are pretty much stuffed.

i feel sorry for them, if that's worth anything to anybody. It's a tulip way to evolve. And I use the word tulip (oops, sorry, I meant tulip) advisedly.
          Last edited by ferret; 13 August 2008, 15:08. Reason: You meant tulip. Why the hell was this thread re-nstated from last year?

Comment

Humans too. Huge numbers will appear tonight, and go away again when the fire goes out. Or at least when the firework display finishes. You’d think evolution might kick in with regard to the unfortunate combination of naked light (most of mans pre-history) and flammable wings. I gather flies and such seek out and congregate around potential meeting spots, such as lampshades (whether lit or not), looking for mates. At such places throwing small fly sized pieces of crumpled paper causes said flies to investigate said nookie with some interest, rapid circling and with presumably equally rapid disappointment.

On a related subject do insects understand glass? Gnats seem to, quite gracefully from what I’ve seen when they land, but not houseflies, or wasps.

Comment

Moths are morons; if they're that keen on bright lights, why wait until it's dark to go out looking for them?
              The vegetarian option.

Comment

Thought I should join the question initiatives of the day...

So Why are moths attracted to bright lights?

Beaker?? what do you think of this answer:
                http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a5_038.html

fact or fiction??
                Have you ever seen a moth?
                Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Don't make sense beaker ... you should never sleep or close an eye if your enemies are out and about trying to get you... can you imagine: Clint Eastwood with his huge gun and his poncho (for a few dollars more) being chased by all the badies, and what dos he do ...errrr do you think he'd say: oh am gona have a little nap so no one can find me
                  Moths aren't quite as well armed as Mr Eastwood. No ponchos either.

Comment

hmmmm still wondering about Moths

Comment

hmmmm still wondering about Moths
                      Let it go...

Comment

Working...
                      X