• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What time do you get in to work?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
    People who have to deal with people in suits.

I think (and I'm pretty sure this isn't universal judging by a few folks attitude here) that you should endeavor to get along with the folk you're working with. If they are all wearing suits then it's going to make them uncomfortable if you're in jeans & a megadeath t-shirt.

That being said, I tend to only wear a tie for initial meetings. Some banks are funny about dress code, some are very relaxed.
    IBM invented the concept of the dark blue suit, white shirt and plain tie. nd whilst we may laugh at it there was a point to it. As it is impossible to please everyone about how you look and what you wear they commissioned a survey to find out what dress their salepeople could wear that caused the least amount of offence to everyone. It was the blue suit/white shirt.
    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
      You obviously dont have an important enough job snaw
      Hey, it pays well, that's the only thing that counts

Anyway, not worn a suit for 7 years except for weddings and interviews and been working in banks (Big ones) the whole time. And apart from a few managers not seen anyone else wear one either. I htink the suit and tie is going the way of the bowler hat personally.
      Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
        For those service workers who have to be at t'mill for 9am we salute you

Factory workers, Cleaners, Shop workers, Call centre workers, Recruitment consultants, they all do a marvelous job. Where would we be without them?

These salt of the earth types are what make Great Britain great!

Marvelous

Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

You guys don't even wear a Bowler hat? Next you'll be telling me you don't wear stockings and suspenders underneath your suit trousers!
          The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

For those service workers who have to be at t'mill for 9am we salute you
            "For those service workers who have to be at mill". The t' is superfluous and wouldn't be said, unless you have a stammer.

HTH.
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

I dont do suits.

If the client expects me to wear one they better ask someone else. I've actually come closer to wearing a shirt and tie while driving (damn eddie stobarts!) then I have while contracting.

Comment

I get in any time between around 8am and 10am, depending on what I'm doing in the evening, (or what I did last night ). I leave accordingly at around 4pm - 7pm. It's entirely to my convenience.

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
                If you are a trader or a salesperson or in any job that operates at the "operational" end of a business then you work according to your clients/customers needs. These people have no choice but on the other hand they tend to be the most important part of a companies workforce. If on the other hand you carry out work that can be done anywhere at any time then you are not worth s**t
                ...said the salesman.
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

i don't actually wear a suit jacket anymore (interviews aside) simply because they just end up on a hanger all day but i do wear suit trousers, shirt, tie and links. oh and shoes and socks help too.

Comment

There is a definite sexisim in the work place when it comes to the attire of women. The last place I worked you had to wear a collar and smart trousers, no jeans. The women did not have to wear a collar and often turned up in very casual clothes.
                    Yeah but us women have to buy more clothes to make up for it.

It's hard work working out what colours co-ordinate if you get up with a hang over. Least as a bloke you have less clothes to chose from so less chance of making mistakes.

Obviously one of the advantages of working at home is that I don't have that worry.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                      "For those service workers who have to be at mill". The t' is superfluous and wouldn't be said, unless you have a stammer.

HTH.
                      Or was trying to use the comedy t'
                      The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Working...
                      X