• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

cheap foreign currency

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
    Eh, That's just plain tulips! You will get your banks exchange rate of the day plus a handling charge.

Surely it's cheaper to buy the currency beforehand after shopping around for rates (which is what the OP is asking).

I'm not sure what Tulips are as an insult, but I suggest that you look at the bid-offer spread at a bureau. 10% is the norm, 15% not uncommon.

tim

Comment

Originally posted by tim123 View Post
      I'm not sure what Tulips are as an insult, but I suggest that you look at the bid-offer spread at a bureau. 10% is the norm, 15% not uncommon.

tim

And what do you get when you use your ATM card then?

'Tulips' is a reference to the mods recent swear word filter.

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
        And what do you get when you use your ATM card then?
        A 2% discount on the exchange rate and a fixed fee of 2 pounds, which if you take 200 quid (which is the maximum I seem to be allowed) is another 1% for a 3% total.

By using my Nationwide account I don't get the 2 pound fee.

tim

Comment

Working...
        X