• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

cheap foreign currency

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There is no cheap way to change folding money in developed countries.

Use your bank card in an ATM, it is *always* cheaper than a bureau(assuming you take more than 20 quid).

tim

Comment

Originally posted by tim123 View Post
      There is no cheap way to change folding money in developed countries.

Use your bank card in an ATM, it is *always* cheaper than a bureau(assuming you take more than 20 quid).

tim
      Eh, That's just plain tulips! You will get your banks exchange rate of the day plus a handling charge.

Surely it's cheaper to buy the currency beforehand after shopping around for rates (which is what the OP is asking).

Comment

I agree M&S are good...

Usually just use my bank card though - it works out best for me!
        Bazza gets caught
        Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
          Eh, That's just plain tulips! You will get your banks exchange rate of the day plus a handling charge.

Surely it's cheaper to buy the currency beforehand after shopping around for rates (which is what the OP is asking).
          Actually I agree with Tim. I think if you limit the number of withdrawals i.e. make them for large sums it works out significantly cheaper than paying commossion twice i.e. once before departure and a second time upon return.

Comment

thanks for the money advice people, now what is recommended to do in Zurich?
            cut me - ill bleed rosso red

Comment

I work on the mainland and have not found anything cheaper than buying a couple of hundred quids worth of Euros in M&S whilst doing the the weekly shop.

I would love to know a cheaper way though!

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
                Actually I agree with Tim. I think if you limit the number of withdrawals i.e. make them for large sums it works out significantly cheaper than paying commossion twice i.e. once before departure and a second time upon return.
                No one pays commission anymore you just get a noddy rate. This is the same rate your bank will give you when you withdraw at the ATM machine PLUS a handling charge!

I believe that natwest have an account that doesn't sting you for a handling charge but you still get the same carp rate.

The rates you get from the highstreet banks are dismay to say the least.

Edit: Plus, who returns Euros? You know you'll use them again so why bother?

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
                  No one pays commission anymore you just get a noddy rate. This is the same rate your bank will give you when you withdraw at the ATM machine PLUS a handling charge!

I believe that natwest have an account that doesn't sting you for a handling charge but you still get the same carp rate.

The rates you get from the highstreet banks are dismay to say the least.

Edit: Plus, who returns Euros? You know you'll use them again so why bother?
                  I stand corrected if thats the case.

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
                    I stand corrected if thats the case.
                    Always HTH

Comment

Originally posted by poser View Post
                      thanks for the money advice people, now what is recommended to do in Zurich?
                      There are a couple of English pubs in Zurich if you want to meet some English nannies. If you want to eat somewhere relaxed I like Globus on Belview down by the lake. The buzz area before I left was Hardbruck lots of bars etc.
                      Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Working...
                      X