• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New gig in Edinburgh - Advice needed

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You'll save yourself a few quid, if you do a long return LCY-EDI, and weekend returns EDI-LCY in between. E.g. LCY-EDI 5/11 to 21/12 £107, EDI-LCY weekend trips in between £98. As opposed to LCY-EDI m-f £103.

( According the the London City website ).

And don't forget your airmiles.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

I negotiated a rate with ScottishApartment.com for a longer term rent - all bills included, nice flat in Leith looking out over the Royal Yacht Britannia.

Very nice, but unless you rely on their minibus service, you need a car or bus to get around. But it has secure underground parking for free.
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by css_jay99 View Post
        scooterscot, £1400pcm ! are you living in a wing of the castle or your dig comes with a pool and playmates?. That certainly is way expensive!
        css_jay99
        Nah no playmates. Sometimes I let my place out and that's what I get for it, admitently it is in the west end of town. Near and around Pentland house though you'll get plenty around the 600pcm mark.
        "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
          Nah no playmates. Sometimes I let my place out and that's what I get for it, admitently it is in the west end of town. Near and around Pentland house though you'll get plenty around the 600pcm mark.
          at that price, you must be minting it !

Just back from a club in the westend (george street i think) and it made me laugh!. It was like beign back in the 80s. The girls here certainly dont have a dress sense, the dancing was even worse. mmm maybe i better hand in my notice and come back to london 1 year of this and I going to go mad.

So where are the best places to hit town during the week in Edinburgh. I am willing to go as far as glasgow for my sanity. I like my R&B and where the girls hot. who said life just have to be about coding & surfing the net.

Just one query, do all contracts have to have a getout clause?. I can see one for my client but non for me

css_jay99

Comment

Just one query, do all contracts have to have a getout clause?. I can see one for my client but non for me
            No. If you want one, then negotiate to put it in there before you start.

Or annoy the client to such an extent that they terminate the contract for you...
            Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

They refused to put it in.

Well I guess its better than staying on the bench.

OK you Edinburgh contractors out there that still have life left in them, please tell me where to party during the week cos i dont fancy spending my night pacing the 4 corners of a B&B room .

css_jay99

by the way do i need to keep a receipt for my £5 a day food allowance?

Comment

They refused to put it in.

Well I guess its better than staying on the bench.

OK you Edinburgh contractors out there that still have life left in them, please tell me where to party during the week cos i dont fancy spending my night pacing the 4 corners of a B&B room .

css_jay99

by the way do i need to keep a receipt for my £5 a day food allowance?
                £5 a day is a working away from home allowance - no receipts neded.

Food is a separate thing that you can claim for, if you have receipts, providing it's outside your "normal" work - e.g. if you are normally based at home and are working and staying away from home, then you can claim some food - breakfast and tea being the norm.

My new contract Qdos suggested I needed a clause so that I could give notice, in case anyone implied MOO - now it just says "The Supplier is only able to terminate this Agreement on completion of the (Contract) period" so no notice, but no MOO.
                Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Make your way to York Place that's a good start... No. 26 will take you there. Many pubs, VUE, restaurants, I'll be in the Whisky society but you need to be a member

Or you could go up to Old Town and potter near Grass market... No. 12 in that case...

Look up www.s1play.com select Edinburgh hit go the list is endless

Also look up http://www.list.co.uk/
                  Last edited by scooterscot; 9 November 2007, 17:19.
                  "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                    £5 a day is a working away from home allowance - no receipts neded.

Food is a separate thing that you can claim for, if you have receipts, providing it's outside your "normal" work - e.g. if you are normally based at home and are working and staying away from home, then you can claim some food - breakfast and tea being the norm.
                    Does this mean that apart from the £5 a day claim, That I can also claim for the occassional(or all) overnight meal away from home provided I have a receipt ?

css_jay99.

I cant even surf CUK at my work place !

what a shame

Comment

at that price, you must be minting it !

Just back from a club in the westend (george street i think) and it made me laugh!. It was like beign back in the 80s. The girls here certainly dont have a dress sense, the dancing was even worse. mmm maybe i better hand in my notice and come back to london 1 year of this and I going to go mad.

css_jay99
                      Excellent trolling and I’m sure Rantor and other Scots will be along shortly to respond.

I must say that I did find the Scottish fillies attractive; not as easy on the eye as the Irish but definately preferable to the Welsh

Also the accent is the best of the Celtic wimmin, so no matter what their dress sense is get stuck in & fill your boots…

HTH
                      How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Working...
                      X