• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Slimfast!!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh and last word from me for now.

The whole thing about leaving some food on your plate does work really well for some people. It all depends on the mentality that you have been raised with. I worked with a guy in London for a few months who when he was young was given a good hiding if he didn't eat all his dinner. This basically programmed him to eat everything on his plate no matter how full he felt and had obvious consequences. The way he broke this habit was by taking a bit extra every day and purposly leaving some food on his plate. He now always leaves some on his plate as a habit and found that he learned to listen to his body and realise when he was full rather than ignoring the messages his brain was sending him and chomping ahead at full speed.

From what he told me at the time this action lost him 4 stone without chaning his diet at all, it was just a case of getting past the "I must finish what is on my plate no matter what" mentality.

No one way works for everybody but it is worth seeing a load of different options so that you can pick and choose the ones that you find easy to implement, and find out which ones work for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Ardesco View Post
      More along the lines of suffering from reading the first page and posting without looking at the date and then reading through the rest ops:

Not trying to critisise at all and congratulations on how
      you have done so far, it sounds like you are doing an excellent job. The fact remains though that a lot of people insist on using weight as a measurement when it is not a good measurement by any means. You can have a 7ft tall bloke at 16 stone and a 5 ft bloke at 16 stone. On will be perfectly healthy while one will be overwieght.

At the end of the day it is what you are happy with that counts, but you will reach a point where the weight becomes meaningless and what you will really be aiming for is a certain body shape/the ability to fit into clothing of a certain size. Once you have hit your perfect body shape/clothes size you may still be over the accepted ideal weight, but who cares.

I for one am over my accepted weight and last time I weighed myself I had a BMI of 32. I accept that I am a bit overwieght (mainly because I don't do any exercise nowdays) but I can still fit into 34" jeans so i'm not clinically obese in my eyes not matter what the doctor says (low cholesterol and completely normal blood pressue would back me up as well).

yeah you're absolutely right - once I get a lot of bulk shifted, I'll go into full on toning and shape shifting mode!! And absolutely - by that time all I'll care about is looking the way I want in my clothes (and out of them!)

for what it's worth..I agree with you on the BMI thing too. My best mate is very slim, as my mam has always been very slim too - both of them are classed as obese on the weight AND BMI scale!! It's just utter nonsense!

You sound like you've got yourself sorted lad
      The pope is a tard.

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
        Muscle weighs the same as fat
        Muscle is more dense than fat. You will find that if you compare 1lb of muscle adn 1lb of fat the fat will have a greater mass.

Comment

Muscle weighs the same as fat
          Yep, one kilo of muscle weighs the same as one kilo of fat, but the more muscle you have, the heavier you will be when thinking of a muscle to fat ratio...
          "If you can read this, thank a teacher....and since it's in English, thank a soldier"

Comment

How can you be very thin and obsese on the BMI? it isn't possible.
            The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

One kg of Lead weighs the same as one kg of feathers too.

HTH

Comment

Linky

These guys explain it is due to the amount of water in the muscle...
                "If you can read this, thank a teacher....and since it's in English, thank a soldier"

Comment

Originally posted by Ardesco View Post
                  Muscle is more dense than fat. You will find that if you compare 1lb of muscle adn 1lb of fat the fat will have a greater mass.
                  Yes,the old "muscle weighs more than fat is a myth", it packs more densely yes. But by definition if you have an in range BMI you won't have lots of fat. Granted you can be a fat persons weight and be lean, but then we are talking serious weight lifting, not average cardio vascular fitness.
                  The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

If you're talking to me Mr No Quote, I didn't say thin, I said slim. Slim is way curvier than thin.

They're like a size 14, which to me (and most I reckon) is a lovely slim figure. But on most weight charts, their weight is in the obese category.
                    The pope is a tard.

Comment

BMI Doesn't take into account muscle mass and bone density. Some people naturally have greater bone density and build muscle with little effort.

An extremem example would be the majority of professional athletes. Almost all of them have highly inflated BMI's due to the fact that thier training increases thier muscle mass and bone density to something way in excess of the average person.

BMI is a measure of averageness and we are not all average.

Comment

Working...
                      X