• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ltd. Deserter, Umbrella first timer: Giant

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WotNxt View Post
    Watch out for handcuff clauses in the contract that attempt to stop you moving to another umbrella at extension time!!!!

Also, if you are working away from home you will find it a bugger to claim accomodation expenses since their system only allows these for days on which you travel!!!

Oh, and when they update their T&C's they lock you out of the system until you accept them ... so you have to accept them or not get paid as you cannot enter timesheet or expenses details!!!

Do not touch Giant with a bargepole.
    very useful advice, thanks! i'm gonna mail the agent, see if i can change.. it's the handcuff clauses that scare me off.. are you quite sure ContractorUmbrella aren't the same, just handcuffing you from a different angle?

(S&M vibe not intended)

Comment

Originally posted by barry_abs View Post
      very useful advice, thanks! i'm gonna mail the agent, see if i can change.. it's the handcuff clauses that scare me off.. are you quite sure ContractorUmbrella aren't the same, just handcuffing you from a different angle?

(S&M vibe not intended)
      I don't think ContractorUmbrella do this but you must satisfy yourself.

Why would an umbrella company NEED to use handcuff clauses? If they are doing their job properly then they don't need to even try to tie you in since you will have no reason to leave.

Comment

Originally posted by WotNxt View Post
        Watch out for handcuff clauses in the contract that attempt to stop you moving to another umbrella at extension time!!!!
        oo, btw.. giant called earlier (concerned as i hadn't accepted the terms yet).. they reassured me i was not tied in and could switch umbrellas at any point.. if true, that would be a weight off..

are there any giant users here at all? speak up lurkers - so far so good?

Comment

right, having read the terms now; yes i CAN switch umbrellas when i fancy, so long as i don't use them with the same customer (within 6 months of termination with giant)..

this ain't cool but i suspect it's the same all over.. do ContractorUmbrella have a similar 'post termination restriction' clause?

Comment

right, having read the terms now; yes i CAN switch umbrellas when i fancy, so long as i don't use them with the same customer (within 6 months of termination with giant)..

this ain't cool but i suspect it's the same all over.. do ContractorUmbrella have a similar 'post termination restriction' clause?
            Have you considered asking them?
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

That doesn't sound like being able to switch when you fancy! If you have lots of customers for short gigs and not much repeat business then you'll be ok I guess. But then if you do, why would you use an umbrella when your LTD outside IR35 would give you far more in your pocket?

And yes, you need to ask Contractor Umbrella http://www.contractorumbrella.com/ yourself and their phone number is 01206 761326 (to save you the trouble of finding it yourself).

Comment

thanks for the info, thought you'd know CU's post termination clauses if you'd been stung by handcuffs in the past..

i'll study contractorumbrellas terms today (feck me this is boring )

Comment

Hi Barry

To save you some time........no we don't
                  Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

thanks for chipping in Lisa.. this contract i've been offered could run on indefinitely, i don't like the idea of being stuck with Giant for the whole term (like it or not).

i'm checking out your site, may speak soon..

Comment

FYI, giant just called in a flap.. they "DO NOT" tie you in any way shape or form - you are free to switch umbrellas, same contract no problem..

the clause i mentioned does not mean you can't use a different umbrella on the same gig within six months of termination with Giant, it means you can't work for the customer within 6 months of termination via anybody else but the agency, .. "the company" in this clause actually means "the agency", not "Giant" as it actually states "the company" means at the top of the contract.

Comment

Working...
                      X