• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

McClaren for the Chop

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cheer up you lot. England are not out yet. Obviously Russia will beat Andorra, but it is highly possible that they could lose to Israel away. By the time England play Croatia it is also very probable that Croatia will already have qualified so will require nothing from the game. If England win at Wembley, something I fully expect them to manage they will sneak in ahead of the Russkies even if the russians get a draw in Israel. Not good that it is out of your hands admittedly, but not time to throw the towel in yet. Would the Rugby team be doing that?
    As for Scotland we are only in a marginally better sitruation than England in as much as we control our own destiny. A simple win against the World Champions being all that is required unless the Ukraine can beat the Frogs in Kiev on the last day, then we would require only a draw. If I am realistic then I still don't see us being able to beat Italy, but stranger things have happened. Looking back to when the draw was first made, if someone had offered me the position we'd be in now I would have grabbed their hand off.
    As for McLaren, he was never the right choice, but now is not the time to dump him. When he does go then he must be replaced by someone with the right qualities and experience, so that rules anyone English out at the moment. My suggestion would be Hiddink.
    If people are hell bent on dumping anyone they might take a look at their goalie, or even Gerrard for missing a sitter than my mother-in-law could have scored.
    “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
      As for Scotland we are only in a marginally better sitruation than England in as much as we control our own destiny. A simple win against the World Champions being all that is required unless the Ukraine can beat the Frogs in Kiev on the last day, then we would require only a draw. If I am realistic then I still don't see us being able to beat Italy, but stranger things have happened. Looking back to when the draw was first made, if someone had offered me the position we'd be in now I would have grabbed their hand off.
      Of course - if the Faroes beat Italy, then you only need a draw.

I can't see England beating Croatia, to be honest, but stranger things have happened.
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Cheer up you lot. England are not out yet. Obviously Russia will beat Andorra, but it is highly possible that they could lose to Israel away. By the time England play Croatia it is also very probable that Croatia will already have qualified so will require nothing from the game. If England win at Wembley, something I fully expect them to manage they will sneak in ahead of the Russkies even if the russians get a draw in Israel. Not good that it is out of your hands admittedly, but not time to throw the towel in yet. Would the Rugby team be doing that?
        As for McLaren, he was never the right choice, but now is not the time to dump him. When he does go then he must be replaced by someone with the right qualities and experience, so that rules anyone English out at the moment. My suggestion would be Hiddink.
        If people are hell bent on dumping anyone they might take a look at their goalie, or even Gerrard for missing a sitter than my mother-in-law could have scored.
        What no gloating and piss take? Have you taken something strange this morning?
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

Russia winning in Israel isn't a done deal.

They didn't beat Israel in their first game, in Russia, and there's only about four places between them in the world rankings.

Anyway, I'm all for root and branch reform, and qualifying for Euro 2008 would only put that off for at least another two years, not that there is any hope of anyone in England having the gumption to do it within the next twenty.

Comment

Once you accept that England are never going to win anything at football in any of our lifetimes, then watching them play becomes alot easier. No nervous tension, no disappointment, just the occasional pleasant surprise. Try it, I recommend it.
            "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by Ruprect View Post
              Once you accept that England are never going to win anything at football in any of our lifetimes, then watching them play becomes alot easier. No nervous tension, no disappointment, just the occasional pleasant surprise. Try it, I recommend it.
              Indeed. This is where the old Home Internationals came in useful, to bolster every Englishman's spirits with the annual thrashing of the Scots.

My serious footy watching increasingly takes place down in League Two. If my team ever get to a position in a few years where they could get promoted to the Premiership, I'm not sure whether I'd be pleased or not.

Comment

Originally posted by FiveTimes View Post
                Whislt I am a "touch" blinkered on the Gerrard issue I think he brings more to the table, better range of passive, defensive cover, and he distances shooting is as good as Lampards.
                There's nothing between them for England, they both play well when the other one isn't there. Gerrard is as mediocre at holding as Lampard is.

But what I'll say in Gerrard's defence is that he must be knackered after carrying Liverpool for the last few years. He has been immense for them.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                  What no gloating and piss take? Have you taken something strange this morning?
                  Watched the Scotland game last night. Even I would find it a bit hard to do much gloating after that.
                  “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Watched the Scotland game last night. Even I would find it a bit hard to do much gloating after that.
                    What was the result? Didn't watch any TV after 6 pm as was getting pissed in pub.
                    Hard Brexit now!
                    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by wendigo100 View Post
                      Indeed. This is where the old Home Internationals came in useful, to bolster every Englishman's spirits with the annual thrashing of the Scots.
                      Not much bolstering happening on that score wendigo. In roughly 100+ matches between the "Auld Enemies", England were only ahead something like 44-41 with the rest drawn. Hardly an "annual thrashing", but don't let that fact deflect your rosy spectacles. I am actually a little flattered that you would still be using Scotland as your benchmark for success.

Comment

Working...
                      X