• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

McClaren for the Chop

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FiveTimes View Post
    What about bringing back golden balls when things were not going too well.
    Sticking with Lampard for this long is a big mistake, don't think anything can be levelled at Stevie G. He played through the double header with broken toes and hasn't been the same since.
    Stevie Me holds his place on the vague assumption that suddenly, he might turn in a world-class performance.

Alternatively, he could trap the ball in that massive furrow on his forehead and run the length of the pitch with it stuck there, and try to dive over the line to score. Beats missing a sitter from 6 yards anyway.

Beckham played well when he came back - he was in form and did well, and it was a credit to McClaren that he brought him back for it. That's the one thing that he did as a manager that made a bit of sense.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by FiveTimes View Post
      Sticking with Lampard for this long is a big mistake, don't think anything can be levelled at Stevie G.

Do you know who the England supporters voted as their player of the year in both 2004/5 and 2005/6?

Did you take in the performance of the other one last night?

Picking the England team for the manager gets us nowhere.

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
        Stevie Me holds his place on the vague assumption that suddenly, he might turn in a world-class performance.

Alternatively, he could trap the ball in that massive furrow on his forehead and run the length of the pitch with it stuck there, and try to dive over the line to score. Beats missing a sitter from 6 yards anyway.

Beckham played well when he came back - he was in form and did well, and it was a credit to McClaren that he brought him back for it. That's the one thing that he did as a manager that made a bit of sense.
        Bit harsh on Stevie, is that the same player that dragged the team from 0-0 against Andorra ? Scoring 2...

Comment

Originally posted by wendigo100 View Post

Do you know who the England supporters voted as their player of the year in both 2004/5 and 2005/6?

Did you take in the performance of the other one last night?

Picking the England team for the manager gets us nowhere.
          I'm aware that Lampard got voted player of the year, but recently he hasn't been doing it. Problem at the moment is Gerrard isn't in good form but there is no one else.
          Ideal it would be Hargreave/Gerrard - with a bench of King/Carrick/Lampard/Barry to come in when out of form.

Great club players don't always make great international players. Lampard is a great club player, the set up is made for him, very little tracking back and shoot on site. Unfortunatley at international level we don't have an Essien/Maka to allow this sort of freedom.

Whislt I am a "touch" blinkered on the Gerrard issue I think he brings more to the table, better range of passive, defensive cover, and he distances shooting is as good as Lampards.

We have really missed a Hargreaves type of player, and recent matches Gerrard has been too withdrawn. He is playing like this at club level also.

Comment

"I just parried it and maybe didn't get enough on it," said Robinson. "I was unlucky not to get the second one....It seems like a kick in the teeth."
            I like the understatement - maybe he didn't get enough on it.

I'm sure that if he really wants to know what a kick in the teeth feels like, there are plenty of fans who can show him.

Mind you - who else is there?
            Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

England supporters who vote in these kinds of things are both fickle and stupid.

Before the last World Cup, they were all banging on about how bad Owen Hargreaves was. Until the first match, and they went on to vote him as player of the tournament.
              Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

I think McLaren should have picked Lewis Hamilton as he seems to be in top form at the minute.....

IGMC..
                "If you can read this, thank a teacher....and since it's in English, thank a soldier"

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                  England supporters who vote in these kinds of things are both fickle and stupid.

Before the last World Cup, they were all banging on about how bad Owen Hargreaves was. Until the first match, and they went on to vote him as player of the tournament.
                  I remember that very well. I had an argument with an umpire after a cricket match about it. I'd seen what Hargreaves could do by watching Bayern. This bloke seemed to be saying that he didn't need to see him play to know he was crap, because the newspapers said so.

Comment

because the newspapers said so.
                    They also said vote labour.
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

I remember that very well. I had an argument with an umpire after a cricket match about it. I'd seen what Hargreaves could do by watching Bayern. This bloke seemed to be saying that he didn't need to see him play to know he was crap, because the newspapers said so.
                      Or he could have been saying that he couldn't see, which explained his career choice as an umpire.
                      Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Working...
                      X