• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Quality of IT Project Managers

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Not So Wise View Post
    Though funny enough, also only ever had two decent PM's who meet most of these criteria in 10 odd years.

First one bearly knew how to turn on his pc, other (current) knows his lingo and theory but could not code "Hello World" to save his life

The worst ones I find are the techies who worked up though the IT ranks
    I agree.
    Though the worst PM I ever had had the man management capabilities of a housebrick. He agreed with the user to produce some work without consulting the people doing the work and wouldn't then accept that the person assigned the job (i.e. me) couldn't produce the work on the deadline specified by him.

Give me a PM who hasn't necessarily got the technical skills to insist on a "hands on" approach but will rely on those people he has hired to do the work to produce the goods.
    It's Deja-vu all over again!

Comment

Originally posted by Xenophon View Post
      I am the only good one I have come across.

You want to change your angle to avoid that kind of thing.
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
        You want to change your angle to avoid that kind of thing.
        Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

The PM is there to keep the expenditure aligned to the budget, keep the client sweet and keep the work on track with the requirement definition. That's it.

How they do it is up to them. Sometimes you have to use politics, sometimes you have to bully. Most times I prefer to set the parameters and let the experts do their thing: despite well over 20 years in a whole range of technical roles, I cannot add any real value any more (although I will spot a techie bulltulipter at a mile and a half).

But without the PM there is no Project. Someone has to fill the role, even if it's part time. For £10k of work any fool can do it. But for £200m...??
          Blog? What blog...?

Comment

I agree with Mal 100% there. You need enough technical engagement to make sure the technical experts are getting what they need and doing what they're supposed to. Much more and you'll cramp their style or muck things up; much less and you're liable to lose the plot or get ripped off.

Comment

Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
              I agree with Mal 100% there. You need enough technical engagement to make sure the technical experts are getting what they need and doing what they're supposed to. Much more and you'll cramp their style or muck things up; much less and you're liable to lose the plot or get ripped off.
              What he said ^ (and Mal) - and very concisely put as well.

Question is, has Miffy been told to get a wriggle on, and is a bit miffed by it???

Comment

A good mix of responses in here and I'm reassured by some of these!

It's clear now from the posts that some of the project managers I've been working with were just in it for the meetings, tea and jammie dodgers!
                Eat Right, Exercise, Die Anyway.

Comment

Part of the reason why some project managers aren't qualified is that promotion to management is seen as a reward for dedication/service for the company and good technical performers are promoted to roles they're not fit for.

Still, I must be lucky as the managers I worked with were all very reasonable.

Comment

The Peter Priciple explains why there are so many crap project managers

"In a hierarchy every employee tends to rise to his level of incompetence."
                    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

95% of all people in any job are bad at it. Most of the contract roles that come about wouldn't have done so were it not for the incompetence of those in 'management' roles, so let's have more of it I say. It can be frustrating when you're confronted with it day in day out but don't forget if it wasn't there then neither would you be.

Comment

Working...
                      X