• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

One for for Genghis Khan

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HarryPearce View Post
    Outside now!

Both I and my wife are civil servants[yes I used to be a connie as well but I have my reasons], I have a moderately well paid position but my wife who has only recently gone back to work is on the bottom pay scale. If you'd like to stand outside I'm sure we'd both like to discuss your virulent fascist remarks.

Having worked both sides of the fence I can tell you that are bad eggs in both baskets if you'll forgive the metaphor mismatch. But I'll tell you one thing no-one outside of public service daily has to risk life and limb as do the Police, Fire, Ambulance and Armed Services or to care for those who cannot care for themselves as do many in the Social Services, Teaching, Nursing etc.

As for taking care of the public purse, not half! We're not allowed a Christmas party or other team building event because we have to accountable to the public scrutiny and it might be viewed as wasteful. Compare that to the financial sector, for example, who take such wonderful care of our savings, investments and pensions. Northern Rock, Barings all come to mind!

My heart bleeds. with the exception of the police/armed services all public services should be subject to the dynamics of competition and consumer choice. Then and only then will they ever become efficient.

As for the rich parasitic scum then without them there would be no one to fund the useless public services in the first place.
    Last edited by DodgyAgent; 4 October 2007, 13:26.
    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
      My heart bleeds. with the exception of the police/armed services all public services should be subject to the dynamics of competition and consumer choice. Then and only then will they ever become efficient.

As for the rich parasitic scum then without them there would be no one to fund the useless public services in the first place.
      Ah! The truth at last. DA you're a liberal in disguise rather than a one nation Conservative.

There will always be things that must be done by the state which are not to the advantage of the public in general, as is the defence and policing of the realm. There is no economic case for caring for the elderly or the health of the poor if they cannot pay sufficient for a profit to be made out of there state. DA would you really wish to see a return to the pre-NHS part of the last century.

You're heart need not bleed though DA the pay not be great but we do have the pleasure of knowing that in one day we can change things in ways you might never imagine.

Comment

Ah! The truth at last. DA you're a liberal in disguise rather than a one nation Conservative.

There will always be things that must be done by the state which are not to the advantage of the public in general, as is the defence and policing of the realm. There is no economic case for caring for the elderly or the health of the poor if they cannot pay sufficient for a profit to be made out of there state. DA would you really wish to see a return to the pre-NHS part of the last century.

You're heart need not bleed though DA the pay not be great but we do have the pleasure of knowing that in one day we can change things in ways you might never imagine.
        The NHS should be broken up and duplicated even and then forced to compete. Consumers should be given vouchers that they spend where they think they will get the best value and service. It works for food so why not health and education. Th govts role should be supervisory, allocating vouchers and making sure that basic rules are adhered to.

What should not happen is that there be a single supplier, private or public.
        Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

The NHS should be broken up and duplicated even and then forced to compete. Consumers should be given vouchers that they spend where they think they will get the best value and service. It works for food so why not health and education. Th govts role should be supervisory, allocating vouchers and making sure that basic rules are adhered to.

Do you only get so many vouchers for road accidents then? What happens if you have a particularly bad month?

The key point is "Free at the point of delivery".
          ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
            Do you only get so many vouchers for road accidents then? What happens if you have a particularly bad month?

The key point is "Free at the point of delivery".
            I do not have the answers as to how the system should work (and health never has nor will be free at the point of delivery). It works for food because choice and competition make Tesco and Sainsburys efficient and customer focussed. what disappoints me is that the politicians will not even debate public services on these terms.

Comment

There was a time when I'd have vomited at the thought. But now, it's an obvious winner. Isn't it painful and just embarrassing to see pensioners paying to get treatment in bleedin' Portugal, France, you name it, and then come back and tell us all how CLEAN and PROFESSIONAL it all was? Vouchers are a sensible idea, and don't actually threaten the NHS "dream".

Comment

If the public sector were to run as efficiently as say a top private enterprise then there would little need for us to earn vast amounts of money, there would be less crime and in alllikelihood we would lead healthier lives. Those who want money can be free to earn it and use it to buy luxuries that no one needs rather than essentials.
                Private enterprises are not run for the benefit of the customers but for the benefit of it's investors/shareholders. When we are ALL shareholders then we can all benefit. Unfortunately nowadays public sector bodies are not run for the benefit of those who USE them but for those who RUN them.
                It's Deja-vu all over again!

Comment

In the US and Britain, the top one per cent have seen their share of national income rise by around 75 per cent,
                  You do realise this top one percent includes us contractors...

Comment

(and health never has nor will be free at the point of delivery).
                    I've never had to pay to be seen at the Doctors or in A&E, or show a voucher - not sure what your point is there.

I do not have the answers as to how the system should work
                    Nope, me either - it's hard isn't it.
                    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by KathyWoolfe View Post
                      Private enterprises are not run for the benefit of the customers but for the benefit of it's investors/shareholders. When we are ALL shareholders then we can all benefit. Unfortunately nowadays public sector bodies are not run for the benefit of those who USE them but for those who RUN them.
                      That is true, but they have to earn their customers and keep their customers in order to benefit the shareholders. The more the customer is king the better the service customers get.

Comment

Working...
                      X