• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

C4 Dispatches - immigrants really good for Britain

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    In which case you have us to thank. If we hadnt closed your cotton mills you would not have moved into IT.
    Actually no, the riches my ancestors had before the British closed down their business was far more than I can ever make in IT. Companies like TATA and Reliance Industries made huge comebacks after the British left.

Forget about me thanking you, maybe you should thank India for the enormous wealth you got from her.

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
      Bollocks!!!

What is your take on the caste system in India?
      Caste system is bad, no civilization is perfect, I never said it was. It still doesn't deny the fact that the Indian civilization was advanced and peaceful before it was invaded.

I suggest reading up on it rather than coming back with the same old caste system argument.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indus_Valley_Civilization

Comment

I do not know why this is relevant or why you people try to quantify the effects of colonialism. All I can suppose is that it is a guilt thing.
        Exactly, on this basis perhaps we should still be hounding Germany over WW1 and WW2, or perhaps examine the Prussian empire with a critical eye.

It is clear the practise of arranged marriages should be banned in an effort to stop poverty stricken Pakistani and Bangladeshi nationals coming over and further burdening the welfare state.
        No visas should be granted unless they have enough skills points on the new Home Office scoring system, and they should not be allowed any benefits whatsoever until they have paid enough tax/national insurance for at least 5 years.
        Anyone who suggests otherwise is a misguided guilt-ridden fool.

Comment

So in this programme (which I missed), the Indians came out as the best immigrants, i.e. providing a net contribution to society here. I always thought the Chinese would fare well too - does anyone have the full list?

Comment

Originally posted by 3ill View Post
            Caste system is bad, no civilization is perfect, I never said it was. It still doesn't deny the fact that the Indian civilization was advanced and peaceful before it was invaded.

I suggest reading up on it rather than coming back with the same old caste system argument.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indus_Valley_Civilization
            I think you'd better read about the Hindu invasion of what is now Cambodia. Particularly what the ******** did to Angkor Wat.
            Last edited by Contractor UK; 3 October 2007, 09:18.

Comment

It seems to me that the richest and most developed countries within their respective regions are former colonies of the UK.
              Is that just an assumption or did you get the numbers from somewhere ?

Here are is a list of countries sorted by their GDP using Purchasing Power Parity - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...es_by_GDP_(PPP)

Excluding European and North American countries this is how the top 20 table looks (using the IMF ranking) -

People's Republic of China
              Japan
              India
              Brazil
              Mexico
              South Korea
              Indonesia
              Republic of China (Taiwan)
              Australia
              Turkey
              Argentina
              South Africa

There are 12 countries out of which three are former UK colonies (India, Australia and South Africa). May be you are seeing a correlation where none exists?

Of course there are other ways of measuring wealth and the list may look different. I don't know. Wikipedia makes you lazy

Comment

Originally posted by GreenerGrass View Post
                Exactly, on this basis perhaps we should still be hounding Germany over WW1 and WW2, or perhaps examine the Prussian empire with a critical eye.

It is clear the practise of arranged marriages should be banned in an effort to stop poverty stricken Pakistani and Bangladeshi nationals coming over and further burdening the welfare state.
                How do arranged marriages and poverty connect? I don't get it. Rich kids get arranged as well. And why only Pakistan and Bangladesh? There is plenty of poverty in India as well.
                McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
                Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
                  I think you'd better read about the Hindu invasion of what is now Cambodia. Particularly what the bastards did to Angkor Wat.
                  I really don't think we want to go down the path of arguing over invasions do we?.. not with Britain's past... if you still want to, maybe we can list the countries Britain has invaded vs. the ones that India or "Hindus" have.. and also, lets list the number of people killed.

Comment

Originally posted by 3ill View Post
                    It still doesn't deny the fact that the Indian civilization was advanced and peaceful before it was invaded.

Can't have been all that advanced or it would not have been subjugated for 250 years by a relative handful of Europeans. Take those chips off your shoulders and move on for god's sake.
                    “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
                      Can't have been all that advanced or it would not have been subjugated for 250 years by a relative handful of Europeans. Take those chips off your shoulders and move on for god's sake.
                      Are you talking about the Celts?
                      Was a lot more than 250 years ...
                      Last edited by sasguru; 3 October 2007, 09:24.
                      Hard Brexit now!
                      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
                      X