• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

C4 Dispatches - immigrants really good for Britain

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 3ill View Post
    Places like Manchester became rich in the industrial revolution on the backs of Indian cities, the British raised taxes on cotton produced in India which resulted in the whole textile industry collapsing.
    Wrong, Manchester became rich on the processing of the raw product from the US.

It was processed by the downtrodden working class of... Manchester.

Why do you think the Communist Manifesto was written in Manchester?

Comment

Originally posted by mrdonuts View Post
      i will re-emphasise the point , that if it weren't for the timely introduction of the english language they would now be struggling
      Yes I can see your point now. For example all the American Indians now speak english. 'if it weren't for the timely introduction of the english language they would now be struggling'. Not to forget the Australian aborigines. Thanks for the clarification.

Strangely the converse is not true though - some folks do not speak much English but appeared to have done okay. Japan, China, South Korea - must be a fluke I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by kingshuk View Post

Strangely the converse is not true though .
        No one said it was
        Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post

"India's cotton-processing sector gradually declined during British expansion in India and the establishment of colonial rule during the late 18th and early 19th centuries. This was largely due to the East India Company's de-industrialization of India, which forced the closing of cotton processing and manufacturing workshops in India, to ensure that Indian markets supplied only raw materials and were obliged to purchase manufactured textiles from Britain."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cotton#History_and_uses

I'm not denying the fact that Manchester got rich from raw cotton imported from US, but to say they didn't benefit from Indian cotton (at the expense of Indian cotton mills) is incorrect.

Comment

Originally posted by kingshuk View Post
            Yes I can see your point now. For example all the American Indians now speak english. 'if it weren't for the timely introduction of the english language they would now be struggling'. Not to forget the Australian aborigines. Thanks for the clarification.

Strangely the converse is not true though - some folks do not speak much English but appeared to have done okay. Japan, China, South Korea - must be a fluke I guess.
            india is booming as service centre to english speaking countries, far eastern countries are booming as manufacturing powerhouses

you clearly don't have a clue

Comment

"India's cotton-processing sector gradually declined during British expansion in India and the establishment of colonial rule during the late 18th and early 19th centuries. This was largely due to the East India Company's de-industrialization of India, which forced the closing of cotton processing and manufacturing workshops in India, to ensure that Indian markets supplied only raw materials and were obliged to purchase manufactured textiles from Britain."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cotton#History_and_uses

I'm not denying the fact that Manchester got rich from raw cotton imported from US, but to say they didn't benefit from Indian cotton (at the expense of Indian cotton mills) is incorrect.
              What Indian Cotton Mills and when?

Comment

What Indian Cotton Mills and when?
                The ones my ancestors worked in.

Comment

The ones my ancestors worked in.
                  In which case you have us to thank. If we hadnt closed your cotton mills you would not have moved into IT.
                  Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Because the printers there worked cheap?
                    The Mods stole my post count!

Comment

because its con-chester, innit

Comment

Working...
                      X