• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Doing Ramadan

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SandyDown View Post
    I am trying to do some searching to find out if this is a normal effect
    Or you could visit The Real World and ask a Muslim

Congrats on sticking with it

Comment

I've tried fasting, and this is normal. Adaptation - look it up.

Similar to the effect dieters get when the skip a meal, and initial loss of weight, then it stops. The body adapts of the lowering of calories by lowering its metabolisim. Well...at least that's my BS.
      McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
      Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

I cooked a feast to the family today, chose Lebanese food which I thought is suitable for Ramadan, so got a cookery book from Borders and cooked Falafel, Hummus, tabbouleh, Vine Leaves, Kofta, Aubergine dip, then a desert of nut filled pastries...sheeeesh was exhausted cooking all this, how do Muslim women do all this, guess they have big families and all the girls lend a hand. But I am so pleased the food was fantastic, I've never done Flafel from scratch, recipes and all the machines (food mixer /processor) helped awesome food, Lebanese is my favourite.
        Last edited by SandyDown; 29 September 2007, 19:37.

Comment

interesting stuff - well done

impressed

(\__/)
          (>'.'<)
          ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Tell when you're gonna make a shourma and I'll the first to knock on your door...well, me and wife that is!

Oh, I hear rumors that the weeks before Ramadan muslim women freeze large quantities of food. They all they do is defrost and nuke each night.
            Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
              Tell when you're gonna make a shourma and I'll the first to knock on your door...well, me and wife that is!

Oh, I hear rumors that the weeks before Ramadan muslim women freeze large quantities of food. They all they do is defrost and nuke each night.
              lilelvis2000, my cookery bok has a recipe for both lamb and chicken shourma, if you like I can post it or PM you, it doesn't sound complicated at all.

You need Tahini sauce with it too, which is really easy to make.

Comment

lilelvis2000, my cookery bok has a recipe for both lamb and chicken shourma, if you like I can post it or PM you, it doesn't sound complicated at all.

You need Tahini sauce with it too, which is really easy to make.
                hmm...I never did think to look up the recipe on the t'internet! I'm far too busy making bread and pizza and pasta and pasta sauces.

I always thought you needed that fancy contraption that these lebanese places have to cook the meat. I haven't the foggyest why??

Comment

Today was day 26, only another 3 or 4 days (depending on the moon sighting )

I wanted to have the pre sun-rise meal this morning cuz I had a full day workshop, so got up @4:30 and had a gooooood breakfast, and it is true I really feel I was fasting, didn't suffer at all. Made a big feast again for the sun-set meal.... think the family is getting used to me spoiling them with all this gourmet food, secretly I am enjoying it and rediscovering the art of creating fantastic meals.

Going to bed now cuz I want to get up @4:30 am again...

Comment

Today was day 26, only another 3 or 4 days (depending on the moon sighting )

I wanted to have the pre sun-rise meal this morning cuz I had a full day workshop, so got up @4:30 and had a gooooood breakfast, and it is true I really feel I was fasting, didn't suffer at all. Made a big feast again for the sun-set meal.... think the family is getting used to me spoiling them with all this gourmet food, secretly I am enjoying it and rediscovering the art of creating fantastic meals.

Going to bed now cuz I want to get up @4:30 am again...
                    This has got to be a wind-up.

C'mon Threaded, own up!

Comment

I am trying to do some searching to find out if this is a normal effect after 9-10 days of fasting, I knew after 3 days hunger would go, but didn't know that thirst would disappear too!
                      After 3 minutes without oxygen you'll find that the breathlessness has also gone.

As you are eating twice a day, and therefore presumably getting full nutrition and hydration, you won't be getting the effects associated with abstinence from food (abstinence from water will make you very ill quite quickly). What is happening is that your body is adjusting to the new regime.
                      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                      X