• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Famous Welsh phrases or sayings...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Swiss Tony View Post
    5 minutes later the same cheery lad asked if I’d like a pint whilst I was waiting!
    Bet it was a different bloke. The in-breeding makes 'em look alike. May have even been his aunty.

Comment

same lad!

(bloke next to me looked miffed, he'd only asked for a Bacardi and Coke ..... Myfanwy!!!)
      Last edited by Swiss Tony; 14 September 2007, 10:05.
      "Wait, I still function!"

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
        Speaking as a real Welshman (well, a Pembrokeshire one, at least), my two favourites are always:

Who's coat is that jacket?

and

I put it on the table and when I looked again there it was, gone.
        Isn't Pembrokeshire regarded as 'little England beyond Wales'?

I found out recently a dialect of Old English, called Yola, was also spoken in Co.Wexford just across the water:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yola_language

Comment

Originally posted by NoddY View Post
          Isn't Pembrokeshire regarded as 'little England beyond Wales'?

I found out recently a dialect of Old English, called Yola, was also spoken in Co.Wexford just across the water:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yola_language
          Pride and Prejudice country, lovely. Not that I watch such trash I'm a hardened engineer.
          "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Whilst I was in Cardiff if I ventured into the wrong pub I often heard "get out you English *******"
            Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

there's lovely

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                Pride and Prejudice country, lovely. Not that I watch such trash I'm a hardened engineer.
                Correction: You are a hardened engineer who is economical with the truth.

HTH
                Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

"Isn't it"
                  Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
                    Whilst I was in Cardiff if I ventured into the wrong pub I often heard "get out you English *******"
                    This often happens to English people in the pubs here in England. If you're not in-bred, you're not coming in.

Comment

Nice shoes them boots

you reading that paper you're sat on?

Comment

Working...
                      X