• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

first day questions

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
    Be prepared for a lot of waiting around while other people don't deliver.
    Indeed I'm enjoying plenty of that right now

Comment

Prepare an introduction to use when you meet people, e.g. "I'm Poser from Poser Solutions, and I'm a project consultant who'll be working on your Exchange migration". The last thing you want is to be dragged around the building with somebody going "Hey everybody this is Poser. He's a temp email support monkey".

Comment

Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
        "Death March" by Edward Yourdon is a good read, from what I can remember there is a two page list of what to lookout for at the beginning, and his advise was "Get out now" as contractors we can't be so picky.
        funilly enough the last project I worked on before going contracting ticked all the boxes and was a classic death march. I'm so glad I got VR.

Comment

Hi All,

thanks for the advice.. this is how it went....

got there was met by Pm who had a 2 hour meeting planned but hooked me up with a really cool other PM - they had my laptop, login, desk, even car park pass and all project material ready for me!!!!

Done some swattin up prepared a list of questions - PM who has alot on at mo took time out to give me full background and history to programme and all the ins an outs.

Thay took me for lunch!!!

Spent the rest of the afternoon with another PM goin over scope of my role and planned next week.

Overall was a really good first day an cant complain.

Oh an i sit opposite marketing with all the totty!!!!!!!!!
          cut me - ill bleed rosso red

Comment

Originally posted by poser View Post
            Oh an i sit opposite marketing with all the totty!!!!!!!!!
            Result!

By the way, and I

Comment

Working...
            X