• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

first day questions

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Passing on the knowledge:
    As I am in a good mood. I have given this advice before.

You should get to know the key staff.

Security. They will let you in or not throw you out when you should not realy be there if you are friendly with them. Helps with th ehours etc.
    They usualy know when the place will have problems.

The Secretary. She runs the show. She will make sure your time sheet is signed and invoice is chased should the need arrise. She knows who is who. She will make things happen if you need it.

The cleaners. Nobody wants a dirty desk. More importantly they get to go everywhere and hear and see things others dont. Brilliant for gossip. As they are normaly outside contractors they usualy know when the place is being downsized.

Your team including PM and managers are secondary to the above and are only important to the immediate work.

HTH. Anybody want to add to or modify that list.
    I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
    Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

TLG's tried and tested 'be friends with the little people' approach there.

Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

Back to first day questions:

I always find it is helpful to go home and write down my very first impressions of people, especially what they say to me about others. Almost certainly there is one or more lunatics who everyone else has learned to avoid who gravitate toward the new person, or is it just me?

Comment

Originally posted by Lucy View Post

I always find it is helpful to go home and write down my very first impressions of people, especially what they say to me about others. Almost certainly there is one or more lunatics who everyone else has learned to avoid who gravitate toward the new person, or is it just me?
          I only ever seem to attract bimbo nymphomaniac women with cracking norks, who have no interest in .NET whatsoever.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucy View Post

Nope, you're the only lunatic that gravitates towards the new person.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
              I only ever seem to attract bimbo nymphomaniac women with cracking norks, who have no interest in .NET whatsoever.
              And you are complaining?

Sounds like your perfect match prawn.

Comment

Tutting loudly when been asked to do something goes down well, belittiling the IT system that you are working in can be advantageous eg 'I didnt know any company was still running SysX nowadays ... ' having loud discussions with your agent on the phone in full earshot of the perms bitterly complaining that 500 quid a day is an insult - that should do the trick.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
                  example the next holiday id October 3rd (Day of German Reunification) which just happens to fall on a Tuesday, so, do I take Monday off and go in on Wednesday or go to work on Monday and lounge around Stuttgart and the surrounding environs on Tuesday or drive home (220km)? Decisions, decisions...
                  No need to break your head, it is a Wednesday.
                  "Condoms should come with a free pack of earplugs."

Comment

Originally posted by poser View Post
                    Any tell tale signs the project is going to flop??
                    "Death March" by Edward Yourdon is a good read, from what I can remember there is a two page list of what to lookout for at the beginning, and his advise was "Get out now" as contractors we can't be so picky.

Use it as a learning experience, identify where the problems are, look for solutions, put forward recommendations in a report.

Last but not least: Work out when is the next good time to find a new role and put in your notice.

HTH
                    Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock View Post
                      Well and good - however here is real life story to illustrate the dangers of connecting your Laptop/thingy to a corporate network.

On site for a large organisation when up turns a pre-sales chap from a consultancy who wants to sell a Security Solution - he arrives and as there are not any meeting rooms available he sits near me inthe office and connects to the WAN - after an hour a network bod comes out raging and after checking the pre-sales IP address uncermoniously rips his machine from the Network - his machine had been infected by a nasty worm-virus which had now spread its way into the organisations network.

He had managed to infect the network with a rather nasty worm from his laptop - and remember this guy is trying to sell a security solution !
                      Yeah, I stuck my one into a LAN in Israel and ended up rebuilding the damn thing after it go so badly infected with a trojan (even with anti virus and firewalls running.)

Ah, but what type of security solution? I could understand it being something like RACF or ACF2 where these things don't occur but then again a Windows bod probably doesn't think anything can hurt his little system

My first day here was good, got an office, a desk, a chair, a laptop, all my accounts for various networks connectivity things but no actual look at the software for a few weeks.
                      Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Working...
                      X