• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Presentation advice

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, I survived. It went OK, which I would have taken beforehand.

It was quite odd as I didn't feel that nervous before or during, but I guess I'm just not a good speaker - words just wouldn't flow from my mouth in a nice, consistent manner. I seem to have this problem when talking to people I don't know particularly well - unless I've had a few drinks or am able to put on a slightly fake, cockney accent & swear!!

Doing this presentation has just confirmed to me that, now being in my mid 30's, public speaking isn't for me & I don't plan on doing it again in a hurry . . .

Thanks to everyone who offered advice. It probably made the difference between OK & a complete shambles!

Comment

Use mini-skirt no longer than a big belt and no bra - always works for me.

HTH

SallyAnne.

Comment

Originally posted by Spoiler View Post
        Well, I survived. It went OK, which I would have taken beforehand.

It was quite odd as I didn't feel that nervous before or during, but I guess I'm just not a good speaker - words just wouldn't flow from my mouth in a nice, consistent manner. I seem to have this problem when talking to people I don't know particularly well - unless I've had a few drinks or am able to put on a slightly fake, noddyney accent & swear!!

Doing this presentation has just confirmed to me that, now being in my mid 30's, public speaking isn't for me & I don't plan on doing it again in a hurry . . .

Thanks to everyone who offered advice. It probably made the difference between OK & a complete shambles!
        It can be terrifying but don't stop doing it. Only way to overcome it is to practise - either keep on doing them as presentations, or go find your local Am Dram band and get on stage, which is how I learned it. I eventually did a course on presentation technique and discovered I'd been doing most of the right things all along!

Like all things it's about confidence and self-beleif. If you can talk in a meeting round a table, or hold the attention of three people in a pub, you can do presenting. What you're really scared of is being asked a question to which you don't know the answer in a formal, exposed scenario. Learn the subject and all else is simply technique.
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by Spoiler View Post
          put on a slightly fake, noddyney accent & swear!!
          I love this new word filter! classic
          Si posse, recte, si non, quocumque modo rem

Comment

Working...
          X