• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Employment Agents... bad experiences?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by XTC
    Well yes. I'm talking about reneging on a verbally accepted contract, not reneging on a signed contract. I don't know if there is a difference ethically?
    There is no difference ethically (legally maybe). A company (or person) accepted a peice of work for a given price/rate and at the last minute decided to go back on their word. How can that be justified as an ethical code of conduct?

Comment

Originally posted by XTC
      Well yes. I'm talking about reneging on a verbally accepted contract, not reneging on a signed contract. I don't know if there is a difference ethically?
      My word is my bond. He did say he had accepted and set a start date. That is enough in my book.

I take a bigger picture view. We (on this site), apart from dodgy and a few others, are all contractors. We have all got experience of clients and permies quoting what a bunch of money grabbing tulips we are.
      I do my very best to prove them wrong.
      It is hard enough fighting them and the Government without our own giving them ammunition.

There is now 1 more client out there who sees us in a bad light.
      I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
      Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Fair point about accepting the rate in the first place....

But I've had agents try to make me accept cr@p rates particularly when I first started....telling me how it's a gd opportunity etc...

Just think some of the agents on here were being a bit harsh on the lad considering the dirty tricks they get up to...

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman
          My word is my bond. He did say he had accepted and set a start date. That is enough in my book.

I take a bigger picture view. We (on this site), apart from dodgy and a few others, are all contractors. We have all got experience of clients and permies quoting what a bunch of money grabbing tulips we are.
          I do my very best to prove them wrong.
          It is hard enough fighting them and the Government without our own giving them ammunition.

There is now 1 more client out there who sees us in a bad light.
          I agree with you in principle, but in practise if I was offered a role that was twice the money then I would take it. If that makes me the Pol Pot of the contract market, then so be it.

Comment

To me this is a bit like a gazumping situation in a property deal. It's perfectly lawful but it p1sses the person off who already struck a deal.

From the agents persective, he put in the work, did the due dilligences, had a verbal agreement and then was let down, OK he loses his commision which is one reason he is unhappy, but he also looks like a muppet infront of his client, and could well get looked over for future roles.

Yes, you should look after yourself, but you should also not agree to things you won't do.
            The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by XTC
              I agree with you in principle, but in practise if I was offered a role that was twice the money then I would take it. If that makes me the Pol Pot of the contract market, then so be it.
              Sorry, but I firmly believe we need a code of ethics and working practices.
              How can we possibly be taken seriously when people do this.
              I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
              Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by Muttley08
                Fair point about accepting the rate in the first place....

But I've had agents try to make me accept cr@p rates particularly when I first started....telling me how it's a gd opportunity etc...

Just think some of the agents on here were being a bit harsh on the lad considering the dirty tricks they get up to...
                He (OP) shouldn't be contracting if he can't take some sh*t from agents.
                [Edit] especially if he's going to mess them about
                "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman
                  Sorry, but I firmly believe we need a code of ethics and working practices.
                  How can we possibly be taken seriously when people do this.
                  I agree with you.

Comment

A code of practice is a good idea, I agree with ya Lone Gunman - I've never gone back once I've agreed something with an agent (even though they've tried to with me - tried to lower rates etc...)... but it has to be both sides of the equation....agents have got to play ball as well and start behaving less like bad used car salesmen...

Comment

Originally posted by Muttley08
                      A code of practice is a good idea, I agree with ya Lone Gunman - I've never gone back once I've agreed something with an agent (even though they've tried to with me - tried to lower rates etc...)... but it has to be both sides of the equation....agents have got to play ball as well and start behaving less like bad used car salesmen...
                      Yeah I think it's partially because of their bad and unethical practices that contractors do things like that. With some of the poorer agencies I've had to work with, I wouldn't have felt guilty reneging on a contract purely from the manner in which I was treated. It's a vicious circle.

Comment

Working...
                      X