• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Alcohol

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MrRobin
    I though livers in alcoholics grew to ginormous sizes?
    No, they shrink to a tiny size...

http://www.emedicinehealth.com/cirrhosis/article_em.htm

The liver may be injured by a single event, as in acute (new, short-term) hepatitis; by regular injury over months or years, as in biliary tract blockage or chronic hepatitis; or by continuous injury, as in daily alcohol abuse.

The liver responds to cell damage by producing strands of scar tissue that surround islands (nodules) of healing cells, making the liver knobby.
    At first, the inflammation in the liver causes it to swell. As the disease progresses and the amount of scar tissue in the liver increases, the liver will actually shrink.
    The scar tissue presses on the many blood vessels in the liver. This interrupts flow of blood to liver cells, which then die.
    Loss of liver cells hinders the liver's ability to perform its normal functions.
    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule
      The liver may be injured by a single event, as in acute (new, short-term) hepatitis; by regular injury over months or years, as in biliary tract blockage or chronic hepatitis; or by continuous injury, as in daily alcohol abuse.

The liver responds to cell damage by producing strands of scar tissue that surround islands (nodules) of healing cells, making the liver knobby.
      At first, the inflammation in the liver causes it to swell. As the disease progresses and the amount of scar tissue in the liver increases, the liver will actually shrink.
      The scar tissue presses on the many blood vessels in the liver. This interrupts flow of blood to liver cells, which then die.
      Loss of liver cells hinders the liver's ability to perform its normal functions.
      I need a drink after reading that...

Comment

Working...
      X