• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Shock News

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd go looking for your parents.

If you were adopted '69 or '70 then its *likley* your mum was young and unmarried.

That would make her only about 57 maybe today.

Its possible she had very little choice in giving you away. Was listening to a radio 2 program last week about kids that were given up adoption in the 60s and 70s. It'll still be on the website as a listen again if you go there. It was very imformative and told you how to track down your parents etc.

Does it mean your off the will?

Comment

I dont know what to think Sockpuppet....I got completely wasted last night...and yet here i am 5 hours later, sober.

From what little I know, my birth mother who was 19 at the time, gave me up for adoption because of pressure from her mother.

I've got a name and address....I want to get this resolved...ffs i thought my life was sorted...
      Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by Board Game Geek
        I dont know what to think Sockpuppet....I got completely wasted last night...and yet here i am 5 hours later, sober.

From what little I know, my birth mother who was 19 at the time, gave me up for adoption because of pressure from her mother.

I've got a name and address....I want to get this resolved...ffs i thought my life was sorted...
        BGG, I was going to write all sorts of "stuff" about not forgetting your "Mum & Dad" if you do choose to seek out your natural parents but you're a grown man. You'll do what's right.

Good luck.

Comment

Cheers Church,

Aye..I'm still deciding what to do. After my mum told me Saturday afternoon, she got the bus home (she wouldnt let me drive her...I did offer).

After she left, I went to a florists, got a bunch of flowers, signed a card, and arranged for it to be delivered and ready when she got home.
          Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

The rest of you bugger off,

I'm having a chat to BGG.

First thing to remember - real parents and biological parents are not one and the same.

Your biological parent produced you, your real parents CHOSE you. They cared for you and they love you.

This was a HUGE (you just won't know how huge) step for your Mum to make. They both will be frightened that you will be angry and stop loving them back.

Be angry, just don't stop loving them back.

Work it through with those close to you and the Salvation Army (who do a load of work in this area and have councellers who help you to work through it).

Best of Luck and our thoughts...
            "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
            - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Wise words

Comment

Originally posted by pisces
                Wise words
                From the "Old Wise Woman" herself.

I wonder if she weighs the same as a swan...

Comment

*sails regally forward, paddling furiously below water*

The flowers were a lovely touch btw, BGG and will mean a lot...
                  "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                  - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak
                    *sails regally forward, paddling furiously below water*

The flowers were a lovely touch btw, BGG and will mean a lot...
                    Steady lads, she'll 'ave yer arm off!

Comment

Hey BGG,

I was adopted at birth too, but was told about it very early on (as a toddler). That way it has never been a shock, as it must be for you now.
                      Although, when I was 16 my mum showed me the adoption papers and things (which had a bit of info about the background and circumstances), and that was a bit of a shock.

I've always considered my adopted parents as my real mum and dad. I do get curious sometimes, but I don't know how my adopted parents would feel if I did start tracking people down. They told me as kid they would understand if I wanted to, but I have no idea how they would feel inside.

Life is short, I would like to meet my biological parents I think (or mother at least, don't know if she is in contact with the bloke she was dating 30 years ago!). But I am concerned how my adopted parents would feel. Maybe I will discuss it one day.

All in all, I see my adopted parents as my real parents- after all they chose, loved and cared for me.

Good luck mate. I know you're shocked, whereas I had the gentle curve of knowing about it from childhood. Seems like we were both in the same boat - 1970's attitudes, peer pressure etc. At least we were both lucky to find people to love and care for us. Let us know what happens if you do go looking.

Burd.

Comment

Working...
                      X